New Pitching Coach

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
This is one of the things that drives me most crazy - the unqualified team "specialty" coach. No matter who it is. They teach inferior mechanics and interfere with the development of players. Then when the player isn't performing she gets benched.

The worst of it is seeing players playing below their potential. I see kids I've worked with regressing and I feel bad for them. Then again, when I see what some people teach I feel bad for their students even if I don't know them because I know it's a dead end.

Feb 7, 2013
This is one of the things that drives me most crazy - the unqualified team "specialty" coach. No matter who it is. They teach inferior mechanics and interfere with the development of players. Then when the player isn't performing she gets benched. .

That is exactly why it is critical for all players to get private, one on one instruction for hitting, pitching, and catching. If you think the team coaches will maximize your DDs potential, you will be waiting a very long time. The sport has become too specialized for a team coach to be an expert in all areas of fastpitch. I don't think most parents and players understand this concept.

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
And coaches who believe they own their players to the point of explicitly or implicitly disallowing players from having pitching, hitting, or catching coaches, make it harder for each player to achieve their potential.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Even college players seek outside help from time to time. It is folly to think that a TB or HS coach has all the answers. Unfortunately, we regularly experience those who are convinced that is the case.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
Even college players seek outside help from time to time. It is folly to think that a TB or HS coach has all the answers. Unfortunately, we regularly experience those who are convinced that is the case.

Funny story on that. One of my longtime students was having terrible issues with the new pitching coach at her college - another former player who thought she knew it all. My student was still coming to me to keep her pitches sharp - you know, the pitches that got her the opportunity in the first place.

The head coach seemed all for it, and even asked her if she wanted him to have me come there during practices or whatever. But the PC resented it greatly. And since she was calling the pitches, she did all she could to make my student look bad. Like calling the same pitch (screwball) over and over. It would work for a couple of innings, then the hitters would adjust and suddenly that screwball was getting hit. Then she'd get taken out because she was giving up hits. If she took it upon herself to throw something else, like a change or curveball (which was her best pitch, by the way), she'd get an earful from the PC for not throwing what was called. Even though she got the out and saved some runs. It was a pretty disappointing experience to say the least.

So you never know what you'll run into. That feeling of "I'm in charge, I'm the boss" permeates all levels.

May 9, 2014
I don't know that much about pitching, but I worked in the summer with my daughter based on what I know of biomechanics and physiology. She did great for a while, but she hurt her arm (got mad and tried to throw hard) and ever since has reverted to the inferior mechanics of her very first PC.

I don't know if its a comfort thing or what, but she was by far the fasted pitcher in the tournament, with great control, before she got carried away (she was angry the other pitcher hit her twice!). Now we are back to PC#1 style (HE) and its driving me crazy.

Everything I know about mechanics says that style is going to result in more tendonitis in the upper arm.

You are not qualified automatically to be a PC because you pitched in college.

Take the good and leave the bad.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
Why does this always de-evolve into bashing former players? These could your DDs after all. Whether you have a point or not, it sounds like sourness since they played, so people may just go to them instead of you. This is the future.
No one is bashing all former players. In fact some of them are excellent instructors.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Why does this always de-evolve into bashing former players? These could your DDs after all. Whether you have a point or not, it sounds like sourness since they played, so people may just go to them instead of you. This is the future.
No one is bashing all former players. In fact some of them are excellent instructors.

A common strategy for those that wish to side step the Hanson Principle is to cry that bashing is taking place.

Feb 26, 2012
We had a former D-1 pitcher as a coach last year. Great Expectations so to speak. Not only did she not know what to teach, she didn't know how to teach. I haven't found anyone around Central Alabama that I would be comfortable referring a pitcher to for lessons. We also have some good young pitchers that have plenty of talent and get good results but they would be so much better with quality instruction. Some of the parents are satisfied with the results for now and aren't really looking for the "truth".

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
Find a pitcher with coaching experience; good grief, bring in AL with the Roll Tide alumni...

Fastpitch Softball Pitching Instructors - academies - schools - lessons

A start.

For the sake of argument, see the post for a catcher who wants to teach a catching seminar. She played and has coaching experience. For catching that makes sense, but for some reason, no one thinks a former player makes sense for pitching. Are you judging them too quickly or harshly? Is anyone offering mentoring for the young ladies so they have a shot? No one comes out of school perfect but we need to give them a chance because we coaches and parents won't be working forever...
Again former pitcher get immediate credibility because, well they've done it. But after the immediate cred wears off, they need to show they can actually teach and communicate effectively. Some become some of the best instructors out there, others not so much. Just like many non-pitcher PCs.

My DD'd PC is a former pitcher who had an excellent NCAA record at the highest level. She also taught under the direction of her former teacher before going on her own. She also happens to be a excellent communicator who gets her point accross to students very well. So yes there are former pitchers taking this route.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TaraLynn0207