New Pitching Coach

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 26, 2010
The TB club DD plays for has brought in a D1 pitcher to work with our club. I reluctantly signed DD up. Last night was her second session. I couldn't go so her sister took her and caught for her. I asked DD how it went. She told me that the PC tried to correct during "T" drills to have the ball facing down instead of palm up at 9:00. DD finishes across her body, as Bill Hillhouse teaches. It all happens after the ball is released. PC told her if she continued to do this she would develop shoulder problems and have trouble with inside pitches. We haven't experienced either in three years.

The most interesting thing DD told me was that the PC was surprised she uses a three finger grip. DD just turned 14 and has been using a three finger grip for her drop for almost 2 years. DD doesn't have the biggest hands. Is this grip that uncommon? PC did compliment her on her spin.

I was most proud because DD took the time to explain her style of pitching and why she does the things she does. DD can be a little timid.

I'm always grateful for this forum because without it DD would be another hello elbow or bowling style pitcher.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
As a general rule, the fewer fingers the better. Good for your DD for explaining what she is trying to do, she must understand it if she is explaining it.

Are she required to go to this PC to be on the Team?

(The inside pitch is partially true. Ps learning the whip and not forcing their arm to their pitching shoulder do tend to miss inside more. Just part of the process of learning. Once they figure it out they can throw the ball anywhere they want, I do not think as a general rule they miss anywhere in particular.)

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2010
As a general rule, the fewer fingers the better. Good for your DD for explaining what she is trying to do, she must understand it if she is explaining it.

Are she required to go to this PC to be on the Team?

(The inside pitch is partially true. Ps learning the whip and not forcing their arm to their pitching shoulder do tend to miss inside more. Just part of the process of learning. Once they figure it out they can throw the ball anywhere they want, I do not think as a general rule they miss anywhere in particular.)

No she is not required to go to be on the team. One of the coaches from the 16u team commented how DD pitches differently. It's difficult at times because we are the minority, which many automatically label us as wrong.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
I have always considered choosing a PC as a personal decision and I would not let a TB club or HS coach dictate my DD's pitching style or motion.

Oct 19, 2009
beyond the fences
Agree with JAD.
Just because a coach played D1 and had success
does not always mean she can coach. Keep a watchful eye....
Some make excellent coaches some do not

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
Coach JV:
Most PCs are in fact, fathers (perhaps of D1 pitchers), so I would amend your statement to say that about all PCs, and not just single out former players. You do want to start with that, former player, and then find a good instructor in that group. BTW, it is not to disparage the men; there are male former players in the PC ranks; we have a lot of them in our area.

PS. We never see an issue with the inside pitch from the cross body follow through--that only happens if the pitcher closes too much.

Wouldn't it be better to look for PCs who have had success with students?

I mean some folks are great teachers, some folks are great doers and some are great at both. It may be difficult to find a great former pitcher who is also a great teacher and in your area. But you should be able to find a great teacher just about anywhere if you look hard enough.

Find the successful TB and or HS pitchers in your area; then find out who their coaches are. I'd make that the short list of PCs I'd want to check out if I was looking for a PC.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
CoachJV, your advice is spot on... Former players get instant credibility even if their coaching isn't great.

We have one in Central Florida that has her own facility and been around for a while. Yes, she played D1. Yes, she pitched. Yes, she is solid HE. Yes, her career was quite short with a double digit ERA. BUT! She is a former D1 pitcher who is now sharing her wisdom with the minions!!!!

Oct 22, 2009
Wouldn't it be better to look for PCs who have had success with students?

I mean some folks are great teachers, some folks are great doers and some are great at both. It may be difficult to find a great former pitcher who is also a great teacher and in your area. But you should be able to find a great teacher just about anywhere if you look hard enough.

Find the successful TB and or HS pitchers in your area; then find out who their coaches are. I'd make that the short list of PCs I'd want to check out if I was looking for a PC.

Another thing to look into, which by the way, successful students should be a main thing, but another thing is, since we are mentioning different pitching methods, is the method they teach and their longevity as a coach.

If you start going to coach that has an off-beat method and they have just started coaching--a. just graduated, b. parent whose DD just started college, you don't know how long they are going to be around for.
A lot of instructors that begin to instruct don't stay in it for very long.
New ones pop up every day and quit every day.
If you just spent 6 months with them and now they quit, you'll end up having to settle with an instructor that advocates other methods and you're now starting back over.
Unfortunately, the IR method seems to be that --out there-- method as well.

I've had several of my students leave me to go to a recommended instructor just out of college, only to be looking again 6 months later when they quit. Then they tell me their new one is teaching them totally different than their past instructor and me. 3 different methods in a couple of years is tough on anyone.

Sweet Lou gives good advice about a good way of locating a good instructor.

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
In heavily populated areas, "good instructors" will be easier to find. However, when you get in to the less populated, even rural-like areas, finding a "good instructor" can be difficult, even next to impossible. I have found the "hello elbow" or bowling style instructors to be a lot more prevalent. Sometimes dads or moms have to take the bull by the horns and tame it himself. It helps if the mom or dad gets it in terms of understanding what the true experts describe here in terms of good mechanics. It also helps if the mom or dad recognizes who actually knows their stuff and who doesn't. There are a hand-full of pitching brains here on DFP who constantly amaze me with their razzle and dazzle, in terms of their understanding and ability to teach the rest of us. Then there are a few others who seem to be here to provide a little something to chuckle at.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06