Need Some Pointers

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 24, 2009
This is my DD. She is 14.(98). She is a pretty good hitter despite the fact she seems to be doing so much wrong. I see her not loading her bat with her hands. I see her not using her hands(wrists) to swing the bat. I see her over rotating with her shoulders. Where would you start helping her to get back to a higher level swing? This has been going on a couple months now. I have been patiently waiting for her to get back to her old swing but it's not happening. She is still hitting front toss a couple times a week and does some better, but reverts to this against live pitching.slow mo - YouTube

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
Improve the hips go forward hands go back. Create some separation from hands and back hip on rotation.

Weight shift, back foot stays down some.
Back foot toes should point to china.

SL

Last edited:
May 16, 2010
This is my DD. She is 14.(98). She is a pretty good hitter despite the fact she seems to be doing so much wrong. I see her not loading her bat with her hands. I see her not using her hands(wrists) to swing the bat. I see her over rotating with her shoulders. Where would you start helping her to get back to a higher level swing? This has been going on a couple months now. I have been patiently waiting for her to get back to her old swing but it's not happening. She is still hitting front toss a couple times a week and does some better, but reverts to this against live pitching.slow mo - YouTube

She is reaching out with the front foot and planting it, then rotating. She should push the front foot out from the back leg push. Once her foot is down she then pushes. That doesn't provide the most effective leg drive, and she brings her hands around simultaneous with the rotation. She is rotating as a unit, instead of bottom then top.

Also, she doesn't throw the barrel around the hands. Very stiff hands. Not getting the top hand through.

Jun 24, 2009
Thanks for the replies so far. I understand what you both are saying. What would be a practical way to move forward from here. (To me she looks like she is swinging with about 60% effort.)

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
Maybe that Matrix Slow-motion drill I posted of my DD.
Do 10 or more in a mirror. Close your eyes and do a couple. Visual see it. Feel it.

Hit some slow and gradually pick up the speed. See if all parts are going in the right order.

Jbooth has posted sequence many times. Check it against that.
My DD slow motion video and the Jbooth sequence should take you down a good path.

SL

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2009
You've got to let her fail. Just be quiet. If she is hitting well, she has no reason to want to change.

Yes I agree. This has been the norm for about two months now,but I am starting to hear some frustration about not hitting as well as last year.I'm thinking she is about to want to start working on fixing her swing.Just trying to stay ahead of her.;)

Oct 19, 2009
Abe it’s good to hear she wants to get better IMO a big part of getting better is wanting it. Kids can be successful with poor swings at a young age then as pitchers get better good mechanics are essential.

You have gotten good advice so far, 2 things I would add is to have the head down at contact I leaned from Howard/Hitter that one is stronger with the head down, taping or gluing a white rag to the top of the tee and make sure the batter sees the rag after the ball leaves the tee helps them in keeping the head down.

She looks good at contact, but needs work on extension and getting to the power V. The reverse had drill also from Howard should help with that.

SL can you post a link to your DD and the matrix, your demo's have been very helpful and some how I missed this one.

Thanks!

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Abe's Dad,
Check out "Movement and use of the backleg" Read post #61 from jbooth.I believe this is the "Holy Grail"of hitting for the bottom half.My DD looks pretty close to your DD in her swing,age and size.I believe if my DD can learn this backleg movement it will give her a way more effecient and powerful swing.I hope this helps? I know it has helped me.I will be trying this out, so I can learn it first.Then I hope to be able to teach the DD.

Jan 24, 2009
Just throwing this out there-- We can't see the pitcher, but everything looks late. It is not necessarily a bat speed problem. Rather it is most likely she is just too late to load and everything downline from there is late as a result. Tell her to load slow and long...explain what it means to dance with the pitcher. Long-slow-load EXPLODE!! I barely skimmed the other comments...not enough to agree or disagree...but I would bet her swing off of a tee is at least decent to good. With live pitching she is late. Possibly picking balls and strikes when the decision to swing should actually be made long before the pitch is in the air. If that sounds stupid, let me explain:

She should only decide 'not' to swing. She should be in balls out hitting mode with a big slow load and 'ATTACK' mentality. Then if the pitch isn't the one she puts on the brakes. Never decide 'TO swing' at a pitched ball, but rather to not swing if it isn't right...if that makes sense.

Anyone feel free to correct or clarify, JMO that hands, bottom half, etc may look better if the timing is fixed. She is loading too late.
VW

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jar207