Need input from pitching and coaching veterans

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 29, 2012
About a year ago, our pitching coach who we love and believe is one of the best in the state based on her ability to get girls signed, decided to move from a 30 min 1 on 1 instruction style to a 1 hour (4 or 5 girls) clinic style and my daughter's productivity has decreased since. Who's to blame?

Is this becoming more of a trend due to pitching coach's wanting to maximize their earnings potential? I understand if so but I would rather pay $35 for 30 min one on one than $40 for 1 hour clinic style.

Thoughts?

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
My DD has always done the one-on-one pitching lessons, but one of her friends (and HS teammate) does the group lessons and is doing fine. I think the more important question to ask is how much are you working with her outside of her pitching lessons? My goal as a "bucket dad" is for my DD to pitch 3-4 days a week outside of her pitching lesson and I try to emphasize the same instruction that she received during her lesson. I do not consider myself a pitching instructor, but after 4 years on a bucket, I know just enough to be dangerous.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I have to see the girls one on one. I have been seeing 3 sisters, that are 8, 9 and 11, together for an hour. It went well, until the last time I saw them. They were goofy, for some reason, and we got nothing accomplished. They pay me approximately $13.00/hour for each girl.

Some girls really need one on one attention and now, that LL is winding down, I am encouraging the parents to buy each girl their own lesson.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
$40 for per person? We've gone to a few group sessions that were about $10 per hour, but we never got much more than 10 minutes of instruction. 1:1's are best. Two at at a time can work, but any more is really hard, even in an hour.

Oct 22, 2009
I used to do only do group lessons. 3-4 girls an hour.
I started getting more and more interested in just one on one sessions, so I slowly started dropping my groups and doing one on ones.
Currently I have 0 group classes.

It cost me money and it cost me the amount of pitchers I can take in--but it's what the parents/pitchers wanted.

So in answer to your question--Yes, by doing groups the instructor can take in more kids and money.

May 17, 2012
I would think it depends on the age and ability of the student. If you have a new pitcher with an inexperienced mom/dad on the bucket than you will need lots of one on one time. If you have an older established pitcher and an experienced bucket mom/dad then constant one on one time is not needed.

My DD attends group lessons and it's not a big deal. I actually prefer it at this point.

Jan 29, 2012
$40 for per person? We've gone to a few group sessions that were about $10 per hour, but we never got much more than 10 minutes of instruction. 1:1's are best. Two at at a time can work, but any more is really hard, even in an hour.

Yes, $40 per x 4 or 5 at times

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
At best, that works out to about $160 per hour of instruction that you are paying for. Sure, you get collateral information if you can hear the coach talking to other kids, but $40 for 10-15 minutes of 1:1 time is a lot in my mind...

$60 per hour for a group of 4 would be the most anyone should be asking for.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AcworthSoftballMom