My rant against poor HE stlye instruction

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
Recently my DD attended a pitching clinic hosted by a local small college. Participation was limited to players 13 and over (so, experienced participants) This was a 2 and a half hour clinic.

first 30 min - stretching and jogging
next 30 min - wrist flips
next 30 min - various drills for footwork
next 30 min - long toss
next 30 min- full pitching with individual pointers

All of the coaching staff and current players on this college team INSISTED on the HE finish, my DD must have been corrected 100 times during this clinic. At one point she told the staff that she does not pitch the way that they instructed. They asked her to show them how she pitched, so she showed them slow motion IR mechanics, stressing to them the importance of palm up at 9:00. The staff pitching coach told her it was impossible to pitch that way. LOL.

The coup de grace was after the instruction was over, the staff (current pitchers for this team) threw pitches to show the girls how it was done. Every one of them threw with good IR mechanics with the FAKE HE finish long after the pitch was released. It is truly amazing that people can teach pitching the wrong way, and then pitch correctly thmeselves without even knowing it.

Rant [x] off

Sorry, but just because the person divvying out the instruction is a college coach, doesn't necessarily mean the instruction is in harmony with what the best/elite pitchers do.

It's amazing how much questionable info is still out there, even by college level coaches. I swear some of them have never studied video of elite pitchers. It seems to be the result of not being curious enough--being lazy or something.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Sorry, but just because the person divvying out the instruction is a college coach, doesn't necessarily mean the instruction is in harmony with what the best/elite pitchers do.

It's amazing how much questionable info is still out there, even by college level coaches. I swear some of them have never studied video of elite pitchers. It seems to be the result of not being curious enough--being lazy or something.

I wouldn't call Finch lazy ...... so what do you figure the excuse is there?

Sometimes folks are so convinced that they are correct that they skip the verification process.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL

Sometimes folks are so convinced that they are correct that they skip the verification process.

Not really worried about advancing the sport or the science behind it and making the most money you can as your star slowly fades.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR

Not really worried about advancing the sport or the science behind it and making the most money you can as your star slowly fades.

Why not give out good information over bad information?

May 9, 2014
It honestly makes me so sad and mad that HE is not only taught in little league but in college as well! So when my dd goes to collage is she gonna have to deal with yet another coach trying to teach her HE? Extremely frustrating! If I found this info on I/R and I've never played softball, baseball, never pitched before, so can they. I'm just starting to help coach on my dd HS school team, but I have an open mind and a desire to teach my kids the best way possible you'd think coaches that get paid well would do some research! Grrr

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

^^^ What she said !!!

Jun 12, 2015
Y'all are making me nervous. My daughter is going to Jennie's camp in September as a surprise for her birthday. It's not a pitching camp, just general softball. And it's only 2 days. Still. I don't want to have to unteach stuff.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Y'all are making me nervous. My daughter is going to Jennie's camp in September as a surprise for her birthday. It's not a pitching camp, just general softball. And it's only 2 days. Still. I don't want to have to unteach stuff.

Relax, this is a great opportunity. Say nothing and send her to the camp. When she gets back have her tell you everything she learned about pitching. Then show her the GIF of Finch. At that point the real learning will begin.

Oct 22, 2009
PA

The camp will be a good experience. My own DD went for three years because she loved going when she was young. It's not so much Jenny that pushes the HE, it's her dad Doug. I'm sure she believes it as well, but her HE finish is just much more noticeable when he is there to catch for her.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR

One of my hitters attended a clinic in which Doug Finch instructed batting. Simply horrible information was doled out.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06