need help!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
My glove for 3 years tore in the webbing yesterday, to broken to bother fixing. Just got a new glove and cooked it, however it's not really broken in yet. Now here's the big problem, I have my first school game Friday, and a tournament this weekend.
Any ideas on what I should do, any methods to break it in quicker??
Thankyou!!

((also, RIP to my lovely glove, you will be missed))

Many big chain sporting goods stores such as Dick's have glove steamers. For a minimal fee they will steam it and break it in for you similar to the way in the video posted by JAD. Make sure that you try it after every five minutes or so of treatment. You don't want it broken in to the point where it's too sloppy to use effectively.

edit to add: DD's new catchers mitt took a half hour and her Nokona fielding glove took about the same. With a softer glove, it should only take 15 minutes or so, if that. When you get it home, spray it well with leather conditioner and rub it in. Many glove experts say that glove oil, which most of us has used in the past, will break down the leather so they now recommend the leather conditioner in it's place.

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2014
Michigan
I got my steamed at Dicks Sporting Goods when I bought it and it was pretty much broken in as I walked out of the store.

I did hear though that sometimes steamed gloves have laces that break?? Mines seems to be doing just fine but one guy did tell me that.

Good luck!!

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
The best way I have found to break in a glove is to treat it liberally with glove oil, then get a bucket dad to catch with it for a week or two. Has worked great for me in the past, but now that my DD is throwing harder, breaking in a fielders glove during "bucket time" can be a painful experience if I do not catch every ball in the web.....

Jan 16, 2013
Utah
Good example of why you should always have a broke in glove in reserve. I know it might be expensive to buy two gloves, but with most quick break in methods you are reducing the glove life and end up spending the same amount, just buying new gloves sooner.

Aug 27, 2013
already got everything squared away, but an easton natural elite series 12in., cooked it meaning conditioned it with hot glove & put it in the oven for a few minutes, and shortstop.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jar207