NECC not worth the investment....

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 9, 2015
Buy the video first. Watch, learn, teach. Then - when the opportunity is available - go to a NECC camp/clinic. Having some familiarity with their material makes the hands-on teaching by Jay and his crew more effective (IMO, YMMV)

I agree. I got the video and I like the way it builds up from fundamentals. Don't make your daughter watch it - you need to internalize the instruction and then work with her yourself. Then go back and re-watch it because you will pick up on things you missed before.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
The video that makes everybody a expert on judging technique. lol..... At the upper level athleticism, and being able to get the job done is more important. Also for the record the necc video is good, nothing they teach is poor instruction but that doesn't make what is in the video the holy grail of catching either.

My advice: Get the video and Incorporate what is going to work well with what your doing now and find yourself a local instructor.

When you see a 14-year old girl who blocks better than most top 25 D1 softball catchers and some MLB catchers, you wonder how much better those superstars could be if they only had solid mechanics.

Not to say that there aren't other great instructors out there (a good number of which who never have thought about the fastpitch game), but I've been looking for about 8-10 years now and haven't found anything better that is available to the general public than the NECC DVD. Feel free to share if you know of other comparable resources!

PS IME, it is far, far easier to find a good local IR pitching coach than it is to find a good local catching coach. YMMV

Axe

Jul 7, 2011
Atlanta
The DVD is that good. A must have for anyone whose DD wants to catch. Once she gets that basics find an instructor that can help improve/refine.

Jul 10, 2011
Rockport, MA
Hey everyone,

That might actually be the quickest I have ever clicked on a topic on this board, haha.

We definitely appreciate the kind words surrounding our DVD and our program. Lord knows my Dad put so much into it, and it is a fantastic introduction to building the fundamentals of the position.

All that being said, as many of you have found out over the last few years, there are now differences with things that we currently teach and what we used to teach on the DVD. That is not to say that the DVD isn't a great first step. But we have spend countless thousands of hours over the last 9 years refining what we teach to continue to provide our students with the best information possible. At the moment, I am still putting the finishing touches on a new product that will go into detail on many of the changes we've made to our curriculum, and we'll be "re-packaging" the current DVD in a way that will allow future seamless adjustments to our information should it be warranted, but still keeps my Dad and his video there for the catchers of the world. However, even after the release of both, the reinforcement of the information and immediate feedback live at our camps is really the most impactful difference between attending and simply purchasing the DVD.

My father and I used to have a term for kids who showed up at one of our camps and kind of looked like they had been there before, but we knew that neither of us has ever worked with them. "DVD Kids". We can very easily pick out a catcher from the crowd who's seen our DVD and worked through the methods outlined on it, but they weren't quite "right". The approaches the DVD teaches allow you to explain the information in a way that will absolutely lead to positive changes being made, having never worked with our program live. However, attending a camp affords you an opportunity to really dive head first into the info and get feedback instantly. Also, (and this is in no way a knock to any coach or parent out there gracious enough to provide their catchers with time out of their own schedule in an effort to help them get better) many parents and coaches are not educators by trade and haven't been taught how to teach. Particularly, how to spot a student's learning style immediately and adjust how they are presenting the information. This is why our live programs are so beneficial. Myself and my staff have all been taught how to teach. Not just SHOW students how to perform the skills, but actually TEACH them how and why to do it.

I definitely thank you for your interest in our program and would love to see you and your catcher at a camp of ours, but if not, I will keep an eye out for the DVD order and will let you know when more of our informational products are released!

Also, keep an eye out on the site, as we are continually posting camps that we are running around the country throughout the Fall.

Take care all!

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Based on first-hand experience, I can confirm that Jay is carrying on with the same gift and passion for teaching catching that his father had and is even more effective in person than on video or DVD. For those not so fortunate to attend NECC camps or clinics, the original DVD, although dated in some aspects as noted, IMO remains the best starting point (at least until the new product is finished and released) for anyone looking to get serious about catching.

Oct 1, 2014
USA
Had planned on putting the DVD under the tree this year at XMas for my DD catcher beast but I'm wondering now if there is an estimated release date for the new video? Given the way money falls out of my pocket these days for my twins (pitcher/catcher) at 14U I know it's chump change compared to travel, camps, instructors, gear, etc...but am trying to have some beer money leftover for later. Jay, would NECC be considering a free or discount upgrade to version 2.0 for recent purchasers of the "old" video?

Also, Grandma & Grandpa live in NH so we've been looking to fit in a trip back East that would work out for everyone. Thanks for posting up the camp schedules!

Oct 1, 2014
USA
Hopefully someone can tell us if the updated DVD is about to be released and if so, when? I've been checking the NECC website and store for a week or so now in hopes of just going ahead with the older one but it says it's unavailable. Thanks for any help here.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IBSoftballDad619