NECC 3-Day Clinic

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I just signed my 9yo DD up for the upcoming NECC weekend clinic. I've watched the NECC DVD, and have been using that as my guide to help my DD improve her catching skills. I feel pretty confident that 9 hours of hands-on work with the NECC staff is going to be a big help towards becoming the best 10U catcher in our league (which is her goal).

Has anyone been to one of the clinics? What can we expect?

Jan 7, 2013
Took DD, just turned 10, to the Summer Camp. It was fun. This is based on our experience there.

Expect everything you see in the videos, with some new techniques. No nonsense, straight up coaching of catchers. Leave the bats and the fielding gloves at home. All rules and expectations of the campers are laid out up front. One disruption gets a warning, the next... oh wait, there might not be a next.

Starts each session with dynamic stretching and warm up. At the beginning of the camp, each participant has their pop time measured. Then for the rest of the camp all topics covered in the DVD are covered. The group is shown the lesson, then they are broken into smaller groups for more individualized instruction. At the end of the camp, the pop times are measured again.

DD took over a half second off her pop time. Just based on technique improvements. She's consistently hitting pop times that are up to 3/10s of a second lower than her camp best.

Your DD will come away with better knowledge and more confident in her abilities after this camp. This is catching camp, and that's it. Worth every penny.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Just a warning - once they experience a camp or clinic and see the possibilities, there will be no going back! In their minds, they will be catchers first and foremost for the rest of their playing days even if they can play other positions.

PS They will be broken up by age and/or ability so if you've got an aspiring catcher, this is the ticket to the promised land

Last edited:
May 24, 2013
So Cal
Just a warning - once they experience a camp or clinic and see the possibilities, there will be no going back! In their minds, they will be catchers first and foremost for the rest of their playing days even if they can play other positions.

PS They will be broken up by age and/or ability so if you've got an aspiring catcher, this is the ticket to the promised land

I understand that. I grew up playing ice hockey, and the first time I got a taste of playing goalie, I was hooked. From that moment, I identified myself as a goalie first and foremost. For some of us, there's something awesome and addictive about wearing lots of gear and intentionally putting our bodies in front of flying objects. For my DD, I guess it's in her blood.

I have no doubt this experience will be a huge boost to my DD's skill level and enjoyment. Like her dad, she gets a lot of enjoyment out of doing things well, and is willing to work hard to achieve that goal.

Jun 4, 2013
Orange County, CA
Just saw this and I will be registering DD on Friday (payday). Its the first time I have seen it in my area so I have to take advantage of it. DD loves catching so this is totally for her

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi