NAIA vs NCAA

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
Interesting to see how many colleges change their division.

I once taught at the University of Central Arkansas, which was then D-2. Now a lesser D-1 school. Still, even when it was D-2, they sometimes had good players. For example, Scottie Pippen, an all-star with the Chicago Bulls, played there when it was D-2.

I also used to teach at Eastern Oregon University, then D-3, as were almost all the lesser schools of the Oregon State system. Now EOU and some other schools in the system are NAIA. So in that case it really did become a D-3 with scholarships. ;)

Apr 16, 2010
Alabama
I have a friend whose son went to an NAIA school on a football scholarship and started as a freshman. After his freshman season the coaching staff turned over so he transferred to a DII school that had recruited him. He told me that the year at the NAIA school did not impact his eligibility at the DII school and he still had four seasons to play. I do know he did not have to sit out a year.

Does anyone know if this is correct?

Mar 26, 2013
Playing at a JUCO counts against seasons of competition, so I expect NAIA would too.

Added: NCAA D-II manual doesn't make any distinction between NCAA and NAIA.

14.2 Seasons of Competition: 10-Semester/15-Quarter Rule.
A student-athlete shall not engage in more than four seasons of intercollegiate competition in any one sport (see Bylaws 14.02.7 and 14.2.2). An institution shall not permit a student-athlete to represent it in intercollegiate competition unless the individual completes all of his or her seasons of participation in all sports within the time periods specified below:
14.2.1 Collegiate Enrollment Concurrent With Service Assignment. Any time in which a student-athlete is enrolled for a minimum full-time load as a regular student in a collegiate institution while simultaneously on active duty in the U.S. military, on an official religious mission or with a recognized foreign aid service of the U.S. government shall count against the 10 semesters or 15 quarters in which the four seasons of eligibility must be completed. (Revised: 4/19/10)
14.2.2 Ten-Semester/15-Quarter Rule. A student-athlete shall complete his or her seasons of participation during the first 10 semesters or 15 quarters in which the student is enrolled in a collegiate institution in at least a minimum full-time program of studies, as determined by the regulations of that institution. For an institution that conducts registration other than on a traditional semester or quarter basis, the Academic Requirements Committee shall determine an equivalent enrollment period.

14.02.7 Intercollegiate Competition. Intercollegiate competition occurs when a student-athlete in either a two-year or a four-year collegiate institution: (Revised: 1/10/95)
(a) Represents the institution in any contest against outside competition, regardless of how the competition is classified (e.g., scrimmage, exhibition or joint practice session with another institution’s team) or whether the student is enrolled in a minimum full-time program of studies; (Revised: 1/10/91)
(b) Competes in the uniform of the institution or, during the academic year, uses any apparel (excluding apparel no longer used by the institution) received from the institution that includes institutional identification (see Bylaw 16.11.1.5 for regulations governing the use of equipment during the summer); (Revised: 1/16/93, 1/11/94, 4/11/06, 7/24/07)
(c) Competes and receives expenses (e.g., transportation, meals, room or entry fees) from the institution for the competition; or (Revised: 7/24/07)
(d) Competes in outside competition as a member of a club team at a two-year or four-year collegiate institution, provided the institution sponsors the sport on the varsity level. (Adopted: 7/24/07)

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2012
I'm not so nervous now.....they won all 5 games and my DD started 3 of the 5 games this weekend and got to pinch hit the other 2....a couple of BB and 5 for 9 w/ 3 RBI's.....

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Really nice start. Now, that that is over, they (the Freshman players) can settle in and play the game like they have all of their lives.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sdwingnut