NAIA vs NCAA

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 26, 2013
The eligibility of a player to accept financial aid to a NCAA institution is done through their clearing house. The player must submit an application and than is told what level NCAA institution they qualify for. The institution itself cannot have a higher admissions policy and decline enrollment once the clearinghouse rules on the application.
This doesn't sound quite right. It may generally be moot due to timing, however I'm fairly certain high-academic schools can have higher criteria for admissions than the NCAA has for eligibility.

KU2

Mar 8, 2015
To accept an athletic scholarship and be admitted can't be higher than the clearinghouse. The crux is once they attend their first class they than they have to adhere to that institution's academic standards set fourth by that institution as a freshman student. That is the part very few people know or find out till they are in academic trouble.

Mar 26, 2013
To accept an athletic scholarship and be admitted can't be higher than the clearinghouse. The crux is once they attend their first class they than they have to adhere to that institution's academic standards set fourth by that institution as a freshman student. That is the part very few people know or find out till they are in academic trouble.
Eligibility and admissions are 2 different things. I don't see any basis for your claim that admissions standards can't be higher than NCAA's eligibility in the Div-I Manual:

14.1.1 Admission. A student-athlete shall not represent an institution in intercollegiate athletics competition unless the student has been admitted as a regularly enrolled, degree-seeking student in accordance with the regular, published entrance requirements of that institution.
14.1.1.1 Special Admission. A student-athlete may be admitted under a special exception to the institution’s normal entrance requirements if the discretionary authority of the president or chancellor (or designated admissions officer or committee) to grant such exceptions is set forth in an official document published by the university (e.g., official catalog) that describes the institution’s admissions requirements. (Revised: 3/8/06)

Schools control which applicants they admit regardless of whether they meet NCAA eligibility standards or not.

Note: I don't see the special admission provision in the Div-II Manual.

Jan 26, 2015
NE Kansas
I would love for this thread to become a sticky like the "School me on DIII".

My DD hasn't been looking at any NAIA schools thinking that the level of play would be lower than she liked. She was approached by a coach after a skills camp about emailing him to set a time to come see the school and softball program. We came home googled the school and it turns out to be top 10 in the nation for softball. You never know what opportunities are waiting out there. Always reply with "Ok, Coach!"

Oct 2, 2015
I would love for this thread to become a sticky like the "School me on DIII".

My DD hasn't been looking at any NAIA schools thinking that the level of play would be lower than she liked. She was approached by a coach after a skills camp about emailing him to set a time to come see the school and softball program. We came home googled the school and it turns out to be top 10 in the nation for softball. You never know what opportunities are waiting out there. Always reply with "Ok, Coach!"

x 2...

This thread would be a great candidate for a sticky

Jan 13, 2016
Kansas City
Many people believe that the higher the DIV ranking the better the talent. This is just not true. At least not overall. Many highly talented student-athletes choose smaller schools, like DII, DIII, NAIA and don't forget the DI NJCAA.
These kids make the decision that the Student part of student-athlete is more important to them. This is not just for girls, many boys make this same decision. Going pro is not what most actually want out of life - at least not pro sports.
There are lots of kids that just do not like the large campus, huge 600+ class sizes and all that comes with a big SEC type program. These kids do get recruited by those large schools but after visiting, decide it just isn't for them. It may be tougher on the parents than the student for not taking that big offer!
We watched as some of the highest talented girls in the country played Olympic level softball last summer in the International Fastpitch Championship in Canada. These were NJCAA kids shutting down professional athletes and other highly ranked National teams. Quite impressive. Softball talent is spread all over, so don't get stuck on DI. If you want to play softball or any sport in college, there is a place for you. Put your priorities first, then find a school that fits you.

Apr 11, 2012
my DD had a several D1 and many D2 scholarship "non-pitcher or catcher" offers....but she picked a private NAIA school (that's in a big D1 college town) and has the best of both worlds now....a big college atmosphere town with a 85% full ride (including room & board) to a high academic and pretty damn expensive private school. The D1 recruiting trips we took all had the same message from existing players "we have no life and I may have made a mistake" Of course that is not true of every D1 program, but I bet you all could guess a few that are. Not all D1 female softball players want or dream of the D1 lifestyle....some want to play right away, get the most money they can to minimalize their debt and not feel all the "you better be awesome...we just signed your replacement" pressure that most of these D1 coaches create for their student-athletes. My DD is quite happy with her choice and begins her college career on Friday (2-12-16) in Fort Worth, TX.....

that being said, being part of a big D1 program would be really cool too....

Last edited:

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
my DD had a several D1 and many D2 scholarship "non-pitcher or catcher" offers....but she picked a private NAIA school (that's in a big D1 college town) and has the best of both worlds now....a big college atmosphere town with a 85% full ride (including room & board) to a high academic and pretty damn expensive private school. The D1 recruiting trips we took all had the same message from existing players "we have no life and I may have made a mistake" Of course that is not true of every D1 program, but I bet you all could guess a few that are. Not all D1 female softball players want or dream of the D1 lifestyle....some want to play right away, get the most money they can to minimalize their debt and not feel all the "you better be awesome...we just signed your replacement" pressure that most of these D1 coaches create for their student-athletes. My DD is quite happy with her choice and begins her college career on Friday (2-12-16) in Fort Worth, TX.....

that being said, being part of a big D1 program would be really cool too....
... and she is playing in a very good program! Piddy, good luck to the dd. Enjoy the ride!

Apr 11, 2012
... and she is playing in a very good program! Piddy, good luck to the dd. Enjoy the ride!

thank you....I appreciate that very much.

its travel day for the kids today and Daddy is a little nervous for the start tomorrow....I had a long talk with her last night about sticking to what got her there....I always preach "always play perfect defense, try and get one hit and one RBI in every game".....of course more than that works too, but IMO that's the formula to a successful season in girls fast-pitch for a position player....

but sticking to the thread....I wonder how many parents out there would rather there DD play D1 with a very small scholarship compared to NAIA with a very large scholarship....? Both have merit....and issues...

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
thank you....I appreciate that very much.

its travel day for the kids today and Daddy is a little nervous for the start tomorrow....I had a long talk with her last night about sticking to what got her there....I always preach "always play perfect defense, try and get one hit and one RBI in every game".....of course more than that works too, but IMO that's the formula to a successful season in girls fast-pitch for a position player....

but sticking to the thread....I wonder how many parents out there would rather there DD play D1 with a very small scholarship compared to NAIA with a very large scholarship....? Both have merit....and issues...
... and to add to this, I wonder how many parents actually understand that educational value can be exceptional at every level. For example where your dd decided to play. These schools both NAIA and NCAA aren't cookie cutter and so, it doesn't mean that if you go to any one level your dd is automatically getting a better education.

Good luck with that first game. It will be nerve wrecking. I can still remember my dd's first game. The worst will be if you have to watch via the live stats. It takes so long sometimes for an at bat. I was constantly hitting the refresh button to see what happened. LOL

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IBSoftballDad619