My favorite hitting drill is.....

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I know I prefer to practice my "incorrect" movements at full speed; we get thru them much more quickly that way;)

Not sure I understand the problem some have with "matrixing" a swing, though. I wouldn't say we use it often; but I do think slowing the process down to focus on a particular point of emphasis has real value. Maybe I'm performing it incorrectly:)

As I understand it (I could be wrong), it's because some people do not believe the swing should be taught as a series of positions, but rather movements.

Dec 3, 2012
Sydney Australia
Hi guys, firstly thanks to EVERYONE who posts on this site. I am relatively new to softball coaching(I coach my 12 yr old daughters team with another dad) and I find the majority of the info on this site helpful and even the ideas that don't work for me send me out looking for why it doesn't and what might help in the future.
Apart from front toss my only drill with my daughter is a half way around hit against a punching bag then repeat. My DD gets a rhythm going and it helped her get the feel of power from hips and torso. Also got her out squishing the bug.
In between front toss we sometimes get the old ball on a stick out to emphasize where she should be hitting outside or inside balls.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
YeeKickDrill.gif

That's the one! Admittedly, when she was young, I taught her to squish the bug. But I have since "found the light". This drill helped her a lot, IMO.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
A comment on drills…what is the purpose of doing a drill or using mechanics that you would never use in a game? For instance the quick hands drill where the person soft tossing throws balls out quickly for the hitter to hit.

Before long the hitter gets behind and misses or their mechanics and they get erratic and before long all the mechanics we have worked so hard on are soon lost and our efforts have been wasted.

You will hear people say this drill builds bat speed, stamina and quick hands…BULL CRAP! We just finished drills that promoted every aspect of hitting we can think of and we used good technique and mechanics. Some drills make no sense and this is one of them.

FFS where did anyone say on here say that the book stated to practice in slow motion incorrect methods anyone that has read the book would know your statement made no sense!

Softball and baseball is a ballistic sport and not an endurance sport so train in your mind on the execution of the mechanics and not on the results as you have no control of the results only on the execution!

1: Agree that rapid fire drills can be counter productive. What some call "rapid robotics" ... I call "rapid BADbotics".

2: Slow motion swings are nothing new. They've been around for decades. Virtually all of the demonstrations of the matrix drill that I've seen involve faulty mechanics ... hence the reminder that practicing improper mechanics at slow speed is not the goal.

3: Agree that the focus should be on the "process". That has long been a theme of mine. I'll add to that .... allow the Hanson Principle to serve as the blue-print for that process.

tjintx

A real searcher
May 27, 2012
TEXAS

Refresh my memory please. Why is this GIF labeled the Kick drill? I ask because whens I looks at it I See a focus on keeping Her upper body from drifting back when She shifts Her weight back. Then when She tips it's a sign Her upper is giving a press to stay ahead of or on top of the hips. Was the kick a cue to get the rear hip through?

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Don't know where the clip orignated, but Yee has series of photo of same on her blog and refers to the movement as a kick. She talks about how the knee kick initiates the hip rotation (rather than the hip pulling the leg) and that its an anti-bug squish move

tjintx

A real searcher
May 27, 2012
TEXAS
Don't know where the clip orignated, but Yee has series of photo of same on her blog and refers to the movement as a kick. She talks about how the knee kick initiates the hip rotation (rather than the hip pulling the leg) and that its an anti-bug squish move

Thanks GM,
I like that A LOT. That "knee kick" when done correctly really springs the rear hip forward....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YOUNGG