Musings from "B" Nationals

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 30, 2013
Binghamton, NY
The team we were eliminated by was the best hitting team we've faced all year from top to bottom.

The other team we lost to was the fastest team we've faced all year. Great slappers that we just don't see that often around here.

Both of these coaches (Ray from the Impact Panthers) and Mark (from the Cicero Renegades) were nothing but pure class. Tremendous sportsmanship displayed by both and it was clearly seen in their team's attitudes. I would play against and lose gladly to these guys 7 days a week.

Agree.
Good coaches. Right balance of toughness while keeping the demeanor positive.

That group of Panthers could hit when they were 10U, which is the last time Ive seen them. I can imagine that they've continued to progress.
They had one hitter back then (coaches kid, I think) that would calmly always watch the 1st pitch. Then would smack the laces off the 2nd pitch if it was anywhere close, every time...

Renegades we saw up in Cicero this year. Good, well-coached team with a very reliable pitcher. Not overpowering velocity, but hit her spots very well. (pretty sure she is an 11U)
Also faced the Renegades twice in a tournament in Waterloo last season. Coach impressed me both times...

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2013
Sounds like a great time.

If it already wasn't having the kid give you a hug and say she'll never forget has to make it all worth it. It's always great to play when you have
class coaches on the other side. Every time I see one of them it makes me try and get better. I've learned this year that as important as swing mechanics
and proper fielding techniques, getting the kids to try and do something positive versus not doing something bad is what makes them better players.

May 30, 2013
Binghamton, NY
getting the kids to try and do something positive versus not doing something bad is what makes them better players.

When I coach 12U,
I continually urge my players to make a choice (usually the 3-B's ball, backup, or bag; in that order) ON EVERY PLAY.
I explain that yes, as you learn this position, you will occasionally make the wrong choice.
But that is ok! What I can't tolerate is any player acting as a bystander...

Eventually, they find themselves in the perfect position for the "play after the play" and it all sinks in.

Jan 23, 2014
I like leagues, I think they are a good idea especially for lower level younger teams that need to develop players, particularly pitchers. But boy are they a pain around here, especially for younger players:) double header league on a Wednesday night when school has just started and you are getting your routine in place is really tough for a 9 or 10 year old kid, especially when you live 30-45 minutes from the park.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
I like leagues, I think they are a good idea especially for lower level younger teams that need to develop players, particularly pitchers. But boy are they a pain around here, especially for younger players:) double header league on a Wednesday night when school has just started and you are getting your routine in place is really tough for a 9 or 10 year old kid, especially when you live 30-45 minutes from the park.

That's what ruined our league. We had 6 p.m. and 8 p.m. games. Visiting teams might drive 30 minutes. Hard to play an 8 p.m. game on a school night. We had the fields where we could play two 6 p.m. games, but then the cost of umpires goes up if you can't give them 2 games. There were logistical issues.

But, I think a solution is to have a weekend league. I think many young kids (and parents) leave travel ball because of their intolerance of all-day tournaments. And that's pretty rational - There is nothing sane about being at a ballpark from 8 a.m. warmups until 9 p.m. last game. Leagues to complement tournaments would make the game more palatable to families, IMO. Many would rather play 2-3 weekend league games every weekend than play 2 tournaments that entailed several 12-hour days. I wish softball had more a 'grow-the-game' approach instead of 'survival-of-the-craziest.'

Feb 20, 2015
illinois
"Really proud of my team! Funny you mention the memories...one of the girls came up to me after we were eliminated and hugged me and said she would never forget this...that in itself made it all worthwhile....CP"

Thanks for sharing Chris. Sitting here at my desk at work and the above literally brought tears to my eyes.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IBSoftballDad619