Musings from "B" Nationals

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 7, 2014
Western New York
We got back last night from my 1st experience from ASA Regional B Nationals...I'm posting this in follow up to Marriard's post and with the hope it might give some insight into the whole experience from my perspective...

In our area, "B" would be defined just as Cannonball describes here: http://www.discussfastpitch.com/softball-discussions/24866-winning-b-nationals-means-you-should-have-been-playing-bracket-6.html#post340169

My team fits that bill. We are 100% 1st year 12U players. All girls are 2003 birth year. In addition to that, my whole team comes from within a 6 mile radius of our facility and 8 of my 10 girls came through our house program. My team however plays in the "A" travel league in this neck of the woods. We were not successful against the “A” teams in the area but destroy the “B” teams in our area.

There are others in my area who play in the "other" travel league that would deem themselves "B" teams as well. These can be made up of any combination of ages\experience. With all due respect and not to sound demeaning to that league, they typically don't like to see teams from our travel league show up at their tournaments. Most of the tournaments hosted by these teams are unofficially classified as "B" tournaments.

I only mention this because I think the ambiguous definition of "A" or "Gold" or "B" or "Premier" can set unrealistic expectations of the "real" level of your opponents. Even if it says "B" expect "A" competition...don't walk in there and start whining when your pocket radar clocks a 12 year old at 56 mph...enjoy the experience, there is plenty to be learned...Like when you go and clock the next pitcher and she hits 59mph LOL (yes, that really happened on Thursday). I didn’t whine…frankly, based on Marriard’s post, it’s what I expected.

OK OK...don't poop your pants thinking you should never go to a higher end tournament...I think it is a great goal to shoot for...but more on that in a minute...

The average pitcher that I clocked at the event threw 48 mph. The slowest was 41 mph. There were 14 teams there and I clocked 21 pitchers (including 3 of my own). If I back out the 3 girls who were all 55+, the average drops to 46+. Most only threw 2 pitches - fastball and change up. In the grand scheme of things, I didn’t think the pitching was overwhelming. It’s pretty typical of what we see…around 50 mph with a change up…

Not surprising, every team that reached the final 6 teams all had a killer shortstop...the team from New Jersey had a shortstop that saved 4 runs against us...she was amazing! Oh...she was a 1st year 12U player to boot...

They all had killer catchers too!

The team we were eliminated by was the best hitting team we've faced all year from top to bottom.

The other team we lost to was the fastest team we've faced all year. Great slappers that we just don't see that often around here.

Both of these coaches (Ray from the Impact Panthers) and Mark (from the Cicero Renegades) were nothing but pure class. Tremendous sportsmanship displayed by both and it was clearly seen in their team's attitudes. I would play against and lose gladly to these guys 7 days a week. When we played the Renegades, there were girls on both teams that had birthdays…it was cute to see teams singing in unison to the birthday girls.

In fact, all the teams we played displayed great sportsmanship. In spite of playing a very competitive tournament, I never saw anyone lose their cool. I had some great conversations with some of the head coaches and assistant coaches. Great guys and gals…everyone was very classy. I had a blast!

Umpiring was pretty good. I thought the strike zone wasn't as consistent as it could have been but it is what it is…the field umpires were terrific…

For the parade and gift exchange…whatever you think is “enough” it is probably pretty bland. We had Christmas in July and we saw teams that had “dog-reindeer” pulling coach in a sled, marching “presents” and a gangle of elves…we had t-shirts and socks…fail LOL

Bring at least 2 dozen pins and lanyards per player…

From a coaching perspective, you’ll quickly see who your gamers are and who crumbles under pressure on your team…

From a coaching perspective, you’ll quickly see the weaknesses in your coaching. If you can swallow your ego for a minute and look at this objectively, it could make you a better coach  I learned a ton!

I was the only true 11U team there…we made it to Saturday morning. I thought it was a great experience. My hitters and pitchers did fine. Issues with my middle infield that have existed all year were greatly exploited.

Kudos to Miss Scotties from the Albany, NY area for winning and for the PA Eliminators for giving them a run for the money. Great event…well done ASA and well done to all the teams…CP

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Chris, you know what is the best thing about this? I am betting you helped make some great memories for these young ladies! Congratulations on coaching this team.

Jan 7, 2014
Western New York
CB...

Had a great time!

DD started game one on the mound...I warmed her up and she was throwing hard! Game started and she walked 1st batter on 4 pitches...she rarely walks anyone...I pitched so I understand what she is feeling...ball weighs 100 hundred pounds...legs like jello...butterflies in the belly...

I call time...walked to the mound and could see she was ready to poop herself (LOL)

I said "Look, let me be the nervous one"...I bopped her mask and said "don't forget, we're getting pizza and ice cream after the game..."

Problem solved :) We lost but she pitched well...great experience...

Really proud of my team! Funny you mention the memories...one of the girls came up to me after we were eliminated and hugged me and said she would never forget this...that in itself made it all worthwhile....CP

Oct 22, 2009
PA
From a coaching perspective, you’ll quickly see the weaknesses in your coaching. If you can swallow your ego for a minute and look at this objectively, it could make you a better coach  I learned a ton!

This is what will make you a great coach! You went for the experience and not the trophy. Your players will get more from this than you will know. Thanks for sharing!

Jan 7, 2014
Western New York
In our area we have travel "leagues" and we have have house or rec ball. House and rec are "contained" within 1 organization.

The travel leagues consist of travel teams that play in regularly scheduled league games. The season is typically 10-14 games plus playoffs. These games are separate from tournaments...CP

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
In our area we have travel "leagues" and we have have house or rec ball. House and rec are "contained" within 1 organization.

The travel leagues consist of travel teams that play in regularly scheduled league games. The season is typically 10-14 games plus playoffs. These games are separate from tournaments...CP

Thanks. I like the concept of those and wish travel had more of a league presence than tournaments that entail so much idle time. When my DD first started playing (around 2008), there was a county-wide travel league that was pretty decent, but it flamed out despite it being a very popular area for travel teams. Unfortunately, it also was a very popular area for major metro traffic, and I guess that's what doomed it because teams wanted to play tournaments on weekends, and weeknight rush-hour traffic on school nights became too much.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania

One of the best pieces of advice that you can possibly offer. Excellent job coach!

I can tell you from my own experience that these memories will last a long time. We decided to take our team to ASA Eastern Nationals a couple of years ago at 14u. Many of those same players are still on my team and the players and families talk about it often. At that time we were a small town Class "B" travel team that played only in local tournaments (90 minutes of travel or less). We typically did well in those local tournaments but quickly learned Regional tournaments are at a different level. The only way to truly know the type of team you have is to play that type of opponent.

If the Impact Panthers are the same organization that my teams runs into occasionally, I agree that they are a class act. We are at a different age group than you, but it doesn't surprise me that the other teams in their organization follow the same standards. We enjoy playing them when we have the opportunity.

My DD is in for another memory filled event this week. I will share some information from that once we return.

Thanks for sharing CP!! I enjoyed your post.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Thanks. I like the concept of those and wish travel had more of a league presence than tournaments that entail so much idle time. When my DD first started playing (around 2008), there was a county-wide travel league that was pretty decent, but it flamed out despite it being a very popular area for travel teams. Unfortunately, it also was a very popular area for major metro traffic, and I guess that's what doomed it because teams wanted to play tournaments on weekends, and weeknight rush-hour traffic on school nights became too much.

Our Fall/Winter Season in Southern Florida is Travel League (Sundays, 2-3 games x 5 weekends plus a double elim weekend) from September through early November then 3-4 tournaments (we have always chosen 3 and not played the tournament closest to the holidays). It is not only slightly less intense and less time comitment, it also open up Saturdays for those wanting to play another sport (primarily soccer though we have a volleyballer and a lacrosse player this season).

There has been attempts to do mid-week leagues as they have in baseball locally, but the interest just hasn't been there.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
salgonzalez