Moving from 10u to 11u

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 19, 2013
My DD just made the big move from 35ft 11inch ball to 40ft and 12inch ball. She was one of the better pitchers in the state as a 10 year old pitching 52-55mph. She had great location with her fastball messed around a little with a curve ball and drop ball (drop never really dropped due to 35 ft) and had a decent to so-so change up. Change up sometimes to fast and if not to fast to high in strike zone sometimes. I guess my question is this what should we expect this year?? What does she really need pitch wise?? How long does it take to regain loss speed due to distance change?? Of coarse she has started throwing and the first couple of times there was a lot of frustration on her part. Mostly because she is not pitching as hard and as well as a few weeks before. I've tried explaining to her this is going to take time and to take a deep breath!!!
Any suggestions from those who have been through this before would be helpful :)

Jun 24, 2013
She will regain her speed before you know it, in couple weeks. FB/CU will get her a long way.

Remember the batter have 5 more feet so they have a better chance to hit the ball even if she pitches just as good as she did before.

May 31, 2012
55mph is tough to hit for 12u kids. My DD 11 also threw big ball for first time yesterday. She lost a cpl mph. From talking to other parents they say the speed will come back in a few mths. What I've noticed from watching 12u is there aren't as many Ks and your OF better be strong. She can still be great pitcher if she can locate fb and cu. If she can locate a curve and/or drop she will be dominate. We are gonna work on a curve and a drop. Whichever looks better we will spend more time developing.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
Dont make it a big deal

Show her the 11 inch ball AND the 12 inch ball. Point out the more pronounced raised seams on the 12 inch.

Then explain how the seams are what catches the air, like the sails on a ship catching the wind and moving the ship,,, the seams catch the wind and moves the ball.

Same amount of spin, more ball movement on the 12 inch.

The batters do get a heartbeat more time to hit the ball. HOWEVER, that ball is gonna move alot more with that extra 5 feet.

Focus on the positive and keep working on speed and spin. ITS ONLY A SCARY TRANSITION IF US GOOFY ADULTS MAKE IT THAT WAY!

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2013
If you are concerned about the ball size, I have heard coaches suggesting the girls to use a 16 inch softball for warmups. Once they wrist flick a 16 inch, they will be fine with the 12" ball.

Jun 13, 2012
We are starting our 2nd year of 12U. DD is a smaller kid 4-11 and had a big issue with the transition to the 12in ball. I brought my radar gun to all tourney's this spring and checked out the competition, here are the results I have found. Maybe 1 in 20 can throw a moving pitch on purpose. The average speed across the board was about 44 mph. About 1 in 8 had a good change up. Highest speed noticed was a 6 foot 2nd year girl throwing a legit 58mph but she cruised at 54 mph. If your DD can hit all 4 corners consistantly and throw a change up very consistantly she will do VERY well. Only about 1 in 10 could hit 50mph constantly, these girls who could throw this hard had one thing in common, they all have hit their growth spurt and are almost grown women playing with kids. DD has a very good drop ball and a fairly conistant change up with good accuracy she only throws 42mph and did quite well this spring just waiting on puberty to kick in!!!!

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
We are starting our 2nd year of 12U. DD is a smaller kid 4-11 and had a big issue with the transition to the 12in ball. I brought my radar gun to all tourney's this spring and checked out the competition, here are the results I have found. Maybe 1 in 20 can throw a moving pitch on purpose. The average speed across the board was about 44 mph. About 1 in 8 had a good change up. Highest speed noticed was a 6 foot 2nd year girl throwing a legit 58mph but she cruised at 54 mph. If your DD can hit all 4 corners consistantly and throw a change up very consistantly she will do VERY well. Only about 1 in 10 could hit 50mph constantly, these girls who could throw this hard had one thing in common, they all have hit their growth spurt and are almost grown women playing with kids. DD has a very good drop ball and a fairly conistant change up with good accuracy she only throws 42mph and did quite well this spring just waiting on puberty to kick in!!!!

This is encouraging. What state do you live in ?

Jun 13, 2012
Live in Arkansas. I used a pocket radar that is pretty accurate. I had Dad's all telling me their dd's were in the 50's........ Never told them I used it, just smiled to myself with the results.....
The faster girls who dominated in 10u @ 35ft with the 11 inch will NOT dominate @ 40ft with the 12in ball. It's more about location and change of speeds.... The outfield play will also REALLY pick up, no more hiding girls in the outfield, they MUST be taught how to play the outfield in 12U.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
Live in Arkansas. I used a pocket radar that is pretty accurate. I had Dad's all telling me their dd's were in the 50's........ Never told them I used it, just smiled to myself with the results.....
The faster girls who dominated in 10u @ 35ft with the 11 inch will NOT dominate @ 40ft with the 12in ball. It's more about location and change of speeds.... The outfield play will also REALLY pick up, no more hiding girls in the outfield, they MUST be taught how to play the outfield in 12U.

I actually liked outfield as a kid, I was surprised to find that I was being hidden when I started getting involved in softball! I always thought I had a strong arm and could catch flyballs.

I have no doubt about what you are saying about 10u v 12U, and I am not knocking the competition you have out there. But out here in So Cal there are A LOT of girls throwing 50-55 with good accuracy at 12U. I am not a father of one of these kids so I don't feel biased. It really is crazy the talent level of the girls at this age. I'm really impressed. That said I do not see such huge differences in fielding/throwing/hitting as I do see in pitching when I observe the TB teams and the rec all stars in our area, but the pitching is two different worlds.

Jul 2, 2013
This is from a hitters dad, who's DD played baseball and faced high velocity pitching well above what any softball player could throw at young ages.

Focus on spin, and not velocity. To this day (high school) the straight high speed pitchers get smashed by the great hitters. No matter the age. My DD has hit the highest speed DD all throughout her career, and will continue to do so until, spin, location, and speed change come into the mix. She saw 70 mph at 40 foot when 11 and went deep. All great hitters LOVE straight speed.

Get rid of the radar gun. Take 5 mph off the pitches and spin the ball every which way but loose.

Folks who brag about speed, 55 mph, 50 mph, at 10 are missing the boat. Don't even bring speed into the conversation, completely the wrong focus. Use that arm speed to spin the ball, and master that. Then you have something.

It is the great junk ball pitchers who get mine. 62 mph fastball, 58 mph curve, and 45 mph change and we are toast (high school).

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan