Moment

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
14U DD had some school project were somehow she had to or wanted to write about SB moment.

She has had a lot of success and failures.

Her moment was when she was pitching and there was a silly fly ball. She called the ball, C whipped her out. She was laying on the field bleeding.

It would not have been my choice.

Do you have a moment story you would care to share?

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
I feel like my DD has had some extreme highs and lows. Or maybe that's just normal.

Highs - Hit 2 HR in a game vs. a really good team that didn't return my emails asking for a tryout ... Hit 2 grand slams in one middle school game ... Hit a couple of 3-run homers in c'ship games, one late when her team trailed 4-2 w/ 2 outs. ... Got a scholly offer.

Lows - Struck out 4 times in 1 game ... Dropped a routine fly ball w/ the bases loaded in front of a college coach that had come to see her ... An 0-for-17 slump ... Letting a routine single get by her to the fence in a world series game that led to a blown lead in the bottom of the final inning and a teary ride back to the hotel.

Here's one that she and I have a different take on, and proves how she has a great attitude and maybe I don't. Last year, she did not make varsity as a freshman. She got called up for the playoffs. She never played a single inning on varsity (except to PR) until the semifinals, and then she was thrown in to the starting lineup on a hunch. She struck out twice vs. a senior pitcher going D-II. I was disappointed that she didn't come through, as I thought this was her chance to prove that she should've been on varsity all along. (She was back on the bench the next game.) Yet she considers it one of her career highlights because she was just a freshman, and the place was rocking, and she loved being in that atmosphere. Makes me wonder how I have the audacity ever to give her advice on attitude. :)

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
The first season my dd played after she was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes. She was 14. The team was in a tourney and she had pitched a game. Next game went to extra innings. We were the away team and we scored in the eighth inning. The coach put her in to pitch. She struck out the first batter and the opposing coach came out complaining that she was leaping. The umps thought otherwise. The first pitch to the next batter he came back out and wanted to know what her insulin pump was. Was it a communication device? The other teams fans were saying it was a pager. Our coach came out and explained what it was and what it did.
Play ball. Next pitch the coach was back out; how do you know it doesn't also double as a communication device? The UMPs had enough of him and told him that conversation was over. She strikes out that batter. Coach comes out and tells the umps he is protesting the game. My dd strikes out batter #3 and we are going to the finals. This coach comes out on the field and continues to make an rear of himself. The uic and the tourney director let him know that in no uncertain terms what a jackass he was being. Mean while I had no idea what th issue was I thought he was continuing to complain about leaping. I didn't hear about the rest of it until he was long gone. But my dd knew what was happening and she knew he was trying to upset her, she channeled that into her pitching and let it all out 10 pitches 3Ks. Game over

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
The first season my dd played after she was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes. She was 14. The team was in a tourney and she had pitched a game. Next game went to extra innings. We were the away team and we scored in the eighth inning. The coach put her in to pitch. She struck out the first batter and the opposing coach came out complaining that she was leaping. The umps thought otherwise. The first pitch to the next batter he came back out and wanted to know what her insulin pump was. Was it a communication device? The other teams fans were saying it was a pager. Our coach came out and explained what it was and what it did.
Play ball. Next pitch the coach was back out; how do you know it doesn't also double as a communication device? The UMPs had enough of him and told him that conversation was over. She strikes out that batter. Coach comes out and tells the umps he is protesting the game. My dd strikes out batter #3 and we are going to the finals. This coach comes out on the field and continues to make an rear of himself. The uic and the tourney director let him know that in no uncertain terms what a jackass he was being. Mean while I had no idea what th issue was I thought he was continuing to complain about leaping. I didn't hear about the rest of it until he was long gone. But my dd knew what was happening and she knew he was trying to upset her, she channeled that into her pitching and let it all out 10 pitches 3Ks. Game over

Pitching well is the best revenge

Jul 22, 2013
Wow, these are great! For me and DD her entire season last year was an incredible ride full of highs and lows. She made one of the best 12U A teams in our state last year coming from a town team so our goal was first to make the team (check) then to become a starter by mid spring (she became a full time starter in the fall). Played her tail off the entire season with some really incredible moments and some lows as well. So going into Nationals she was leading the team in triples and about mid pack in RBI's and BA so she held her own. The first 3 games at Nationals she was 1-8 with 5 SO's...couldn't see the ball. HC dropped her from the 5 hole to 8th I believe. Her confidence was way down. She stayed around the 7 or 8 spot the next several games and did ok. Cut down the SO's but wasn't really driving anything. Fast forward to day 3 in our elimination game and I'm expecting her to remain 8th or so. Going through the order and I see her on deck in her normal spot as the 5 hitter. Again, didn't drive the ball in this game either and was 1-2 going into the top of the final inning. Game was tied, #3 & 4 hitters grounded out. She gets up and went with an outside pitch to deep right for triple. #6 bunts her in for the go ahead run. We close out the bottom of the inning and win the game by a run to stay alive. Parents, coaches went crazy. The pure joy she experienced is something I will take to my grave. Turns out one of the AC's convinced to change the order to put her back to #5 because he had a feeling. Go figure. My DD loves this game as do I.

Mar 13, 2010
Quincy I had a Simillar momenet. Except on the Wed I'd fallen off my bike and severely hurt my elbow. Probably shouldn't have pitched. Catches duked as I took it, I went over her body and landed straight on my injured elbow

Sep 28, 2015
This was my DD first year of pitching at 10U and she did very well thanks to this site and everyone sharing their knowledge and experience. She really had some great moments in tough games where she succeeded and it was a lot of fun for us to watch her have that success.
But the coolest moment by far was a game this fall when I was one of the AC and the first base coach. We were the visiting team and my DD was the first batter of the game and she took the very first pitch yard (small field 150'?) on a line over the LC fence. As the ball cleared the fence, I told her "Thats outta here!" and gave her a high five as she did a home run trot by me at first base. I had the biggest smile in the world watching my slim little DD jog around the bases and in a little bit of shock that she hit it that hard. To be on the field and be able to share a tiny part of it with her in that moment was what made it special for me and hopefully for her as well. An AC that was wasn't coaching that game ran out and got the ball and held onto it until the end of the game and and gave it to her. That ball was brand new except now it has scrapes on one side where it hit the sidewalk when it landed and now proudly sits on a shelf in her room.

Another moment was a game where her team lost in the championship game. We got back in the car and was barely out of the parking lot when I asked her what she was thinking and without my hesitation she says "I wonder when the next season of Shopkins will be coming out?" I just smiled and said that I didn't know but she would need to check when we get home. Win or lose she just doesn't get wound around the axle about it too much and I am proud of her for that.

Sep 29, 2010
Knoxville, TN
DDs first tournament with a new team last spring, 14U (Turf Wars in Birmingham). Tie game, bottom of the last inning, 2 outs, 0-2 count and bases loaded. Thankfully, one of the dads was shooting video. I've watched this a time or two. ;)
[video]https://youtu.be/ykHJ9o2EiS4[/video]

Oct 10, 2011
One of DD's best moments was in 12U Rec ball. The coach came up to my wife and I before the game and said he didn't think DD was quite ready for All Stars this year but she'd really improved over the season. We sat by his wife and were in pretty bad moods. At the end of the game with bases loaded, she hit a grand slam for a win by run rule. After the hit, a TB coach walked up to us and said he's watched my daughter play a couple times and wanted to know if she'd like to join his team. She was the only one asked and it was nice to have it happen in front of the coach's wife:) That started our long and expensive travel ball journey!
Her lowest moment was when a ball that hit something in foul territory bounced back in, hit her in the side of the head and knocked her out. We are all trying to keep that memory out of our minds.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooneyham6877