Metal vs. Molded Cleats???

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
While DD was a pitcher, she transitioned to metal and loved them. She said that the traction was all around better and that she got a better push from the rubber because she could dig in with her toe cleats. Now that she's a catcher and is often times in the wettest part of any field after a rain/mud, she won't wear anything else. Recently she took part in an indoor league that didn't allow metal due to insurance purposes. We had to buy her a pair of molded cleats and she hated them the entire time. She said she felt like she was sliding around and had no traction in them even though the field was always in great condition as far as the dirt went.

Apr 17, 2014
Ross Ohio
DD went to metal cleats this past fall when she moved up to 14U. We got her a pair of Underarmor cleats with removable cleats and they came with an extra set of plastic ones. We put the metal ones on and she loved them. One of the games someone from the other team was complaining about the metal cleats and we ended up switching them to the plastic ones and she hated them.

Apr 25, 2010
My DD went to metal the very minute her 12u season finished. When she is pitching, she says the grip and the "brake" with them is so much better. When playing OF, it keeps her upright in wet grass and gives better traction whenever she runs bases or in the field.

Jun 19, 2013
My DD switched this past fall and was slightly hesitant but loved them from the first practice. They provided superior traction even on the hard packed fall practice field dirt that we were warned they might slip on. The one article that we read that talked about plastic possibly performing better on a hard packed field did not seem to hold up, and someone pointed out to me that shoe companies make more money on plastic cleats that wear down quicker so figure out who is giving you that sort of information.

She also said that she didn't feel like her feet got as tired and sore after multiple games in her spikes.

coachbob

Banned
Apr 26, 2012
SoCal
We have seen more broken ankles on adjacent fields now that we are in 14U, but not in our games. I assume they are from spikes catching. If so, which spike generally catches. Does anyone know how this actually happens during the slide?

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Your spikes should not be dragging on the ground when you slide, if they do metal grabs better and you at a higher risk. The only player I have seen being seriously hurt sliding was with moldeled spikes.

Oct 22, 2009
Again, this should be a sticky...

I've yet to hear of a kid that tried metal and opted for plastic. The injury thing, while always a possibility, is something passed on by someone who heard of a girl. I haven't heard of any girls or boys for that matter that can attribute an ankle injury to metal cleats. They typically are lighter and bite better even when worn down some. Downside, they usually cost a bit more or maybe it's because my kid wants to be DD "White-shoes" Johnson. The white cleats just look a bit faster. :co

My DD heard this when she was 12 and made me always buy her white cleats.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles