Metal vs. Molded Cleats???

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 10, 2012
Oklahoma
Im sure this topic has been beat to death but my DD's coach is suggesting metal cleats for the team and i am unsure what the best/safest cleat would be for her. So......my thoughts/questions are.....do metal cleats really provide an advantage? My DD is a 12 y.o. pitcher (playing up in 14U) not an outfielder, catcher, etc....she pitches and when not pitching she plays 1st base. She is not a slapper, not a speedster and usually hits 7 hole. She is not a big base stealer but wont have someone run the bases for her. With that being said, does it matter much what type of cleat she wears? If she is wearing a metal cleat i would be afraid one of the spikes would get hung up in the rubber when she does the centering slide. Im also afraid of the spikes getting caught in the hard clay upon landing and not providing any "give" thus putting undo pressure on the knee, ankle, etc....any advice or input would be much appreciated. If anyone has any injury studies pertaining to metal clear usage i would love to see it....thank you!!!

Jun 23, 2013
PacNw
My DD is still 12U, but I can tell you from observation that whenever there are 14U girls around and they walk by on pavement with their cleats on, there is a certain amount of intimidation produced by the sound created. Our girls always stare at them.

It's roughly comparable to a chick on a Harley open up the throttle as she drives by. haha

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
She is eventually going to wear metal cleats if she keeps playing. I do not think it needs to be today but the day is coming so she should get some and work her way into them if she is uncomfortable.

Nov 29, 2009
Once she wears metal cleats she'll never want to go back to molded. Every player I know who has made the change has never gone back.

BTW.. The sliding concerns are unfounded.

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
Again, this should be a sticky...

I've yet to hear of a kid that tried metal and opted for plastic. The injury thing, while always a possibility, is something passed on by someone who heard of a girl. I haven't heard of any girls or boys for that matter that can attribute an ankle injury to metal cleats. They typically are lighter and bite better even when worn down some. Downside, they usually cost a bit more or maybe it's because my kid wants to be DD "White-shoes" Johnson. The white cleats just look a bit faster. :co

Last edited:

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Once she wears metal cleats she'll never want to go back to molded. Every player I know who has made the change has never gone back.

BTW.. The sliding concerns are unfounded.

if they previously have learned how to slide properly!

Again, this should be a sticky...

I've yet to hear of a kid that tried metal and opted for plastic. The injury thing, while always a possibility, is something passed on by someone who heard of a girl. I haven't heard of any girls or boys for that matter that can attribute an ankle injury to metal cleats. They typically are lighter and bite better even when worn down some. Downside, they usually cost a bit more or maybe it's because my kid wants to be DD "White-shoes" Johnson. The white cleats just look a bit faster. :co

I must be that guy as up through 18U, I never had a year go by when I haven't seen or heard (you can't forget the screams) a player break an ankle due to catching a metal spike while sliding.

IMO/IME, its not an issue when they have learned how to slide properly. The players most at risk are those that go to metals before they are confident and comfortable sliding. The vast majority of the time they're the ones who obviously don't "like" to slide (and had coaches who didn't think it was important enough to sit them until they were taught and exhibited mastery of the skill before letting them back on the field).

That said, metal rocks!

PS As a former catcher not feared for my speed, I will attest that white spikes do make you faster regardless of what any stop watch claims!

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2010
NJ
I must be blessed. DD has played close to 100 games for the last 4 years and I have never heard of or seen someone breaking an ankle due to their cleat. Had one on the team a few years ago break her ankle coming into the bag but that had nothing to do with the type of cleat.

Oct 10, 2012
Oklahoma
.....ok, i guess i need to clarify. Im not real interested in the sliding aspect of the dangers/non-dangers of metal cleats. Im more interested in the pitching aspect of metal cleats and the risk/non-risks thereof. Also, i am interested in your opinins pertaining to the BENEFITS of metal cleats......are there any real tangible benefits that anyone can tell me about or are the only benefits related to the neat sound they make when walking into the dugout? I know most everyone has said their DD's will never go back to molded cleats after wearing metals but WHY? What are the reason behind those statements?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles