Metal vs. Molded Cleats???

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
As others have mentioned once a player is able to legally switch to metal cleats, they seldom look back. Just make sure she practices in them a few times before she uses them in a game as they take a little getting used to. Also, remember that they are not legal at 12U, so if the team ever plays a 12U tournament all players are going to have to wear molded cleats.

Oct 2, 2012
My daughter used to pitch at 12U, but doesn't anymore at 14U so I'm not sure how metal vs molded would compare. My guess would be a pitcher would get a better push with the metal since they are able to dig in more.

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2013
.....ok, i guess i need to clarify. Im not real interested in the sliding aspect of the dangers/non-dangers of metal cleats. Im more interested in the pitching aspect of metal cleats and the risk/non-risks thereof. Also, i am interested in your opinins pertaining to the BENEFITS of metal cleats......are there any real tangible benefits that anyone can tell me about or are the only benefits related to the neat sound they make when walking into the dugout? I know most everyone has said their DD's will never go back to molded cleats after wearing metals but WHY? What are the reason behind those statements?

My DDs, who are both pitchers, tell me that they get nearly perfect traction with metal cleats under just about any field condition which they do not get with molded cleats.

May 9, 2014
Umatilla, Florida
My DD likes metal

My DDs, who are both pitchers, tell me that they get nearly perfect traction with metal cleats under just about any field condition which they do not get with molded cleats.

My DD says the traction is much better. She had to wear molded for a 14U Babe Ruth tournament last season. They made her take her metal ones off after the first inning luckily I had some molded ones in the car, just in case. She said it felt like she was sliding around and had no traction compared to the metal ones she hated it. She is a pitcher and she doesn't like practicing in anything but her metal cleats.

However, I just read what somebody said about breaking an ankle sliding, I gotta say that freaks me out a bit! My DD is not the best slider so this is something I will work on now, thanks for the input!

May 24, 2013
So Cal
333235017_a4b65ffbcc.jpg

Dec 20, 2012
.....ok, i guess i need to clarify. Im not real interested in the sliding aspect of the dangers/non-dangers of metal cleats. Im more interested in the pitching aspect of metal cleats and the risk/non-risks thereof. Also, i am interested in your opinins pertaining to the BENEFITS of metal cleats......are there any real tangible benefits that anyone can tell me about or are the only benefits related to the neat sound they make when walking into the dugout? I know most everyone has said their DD's will never go back to molded cleats after wearing metals but WHY? What are the reason behind those statements?

DD started using turf shoes when pitching, then was scrimmaging with local NAIA team and forgot one shoe. One of the girls loaned her a pair of metal cleats and has been wearing them ever since. No adverse affects when pitching. Do not hang on rubber or in dirt. Don't wear down near as quickly as plastic. TB indoor facility had the game day 3d turf, pitched on that with no problems as well. If playing infield you may be buying or mending socks and pants more often or an occasional cut on the shin. Other than that all the concerns you have heard about are bogus, imo.

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2012
On the bucket
Im sure this topic has been beat to death but my DD's coach is suggesting metal cleats for the team and i am unsure what the best/safest cleat would be for her. So......my thoughts/questions are.....do metal cleats really provide an advantage? My DD is a 12 y.o. pitcher (playing up in 14U) not an outfielder, catcher, etc....she pitches and when not pitching she plays 1st base. She is not a slapper, not a speedster and usually hits 7 hole. She is not a big base stealer but wont have someone run the bases for her. With that being said, does it matter much what type of cleat she wears? If she is wearing a metal cleat i would be afraid one of the spikes would get hung up in the rubber when she does the centering slide. Im also afraid of the spikes getting caught in the hard clay upon landing and not providing any "give" thus putting undo pressure on the knee, ankle, etc....any advice or input would be much appreciated. If anyone has any injury studies pertaining to metal clear usage i would love to see it....thank you!!!

You sound heavily against metal cleats. Regardless of if we like them or not, they are the standard from 14U and up.

Yes a defender can get spiked, but it's a part of the game. The players your DD is going against will have them regardless of they type of cleat she uses.

FWIW, my DD is a P/2B/3B/OF and swears they work better.

Jan 31, 2014
North Carolina
DD is a pitcher/shortstop. Claims better traction in all field conditions with metal. Suggest a cleat pattern that is circular at the front for metal or plastic as it seems to relieve stress during pivot motions.

coachbob

Banned
Apr 26, 2012
SoCal
Again, this should be a sticky...

my kid wants to be DD "White-shoes" Johnson. The white cleats just look a bit faster. :co

One kid got white cleats a couple months back, and we are now up to four. I suspect we wil be all white by summer, if the dugout chatter is any indication.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles