Mental coach

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

WARRIORMIKE

Pro-Staff Everything
Oct 5, 2009
At the Jewel in San Diego
My buddy and I were discussing a topic recently. His son who was in MotorCross had a "mental coach." Helped him prepare his mind mentally for races and practices.

Has anyone hired a "mental coach" or heard of anyone doing so? What were the outcomes?

A "mental coach" can be helpful to those who have problems with the mental part of the game.

For those who don't, I find that competition is the best mental coach. Always compete .... at practice, in games, on the bench, in the weight room, in the hitting cage. That will make you ready to compete when the game is on the line.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
I've been curious enough about it to make some calls and found a local sports psychology practice that charges upwards of $140/hour and attracts many pre-college and college athletes. I don't doubt they do good work. My wife and I both have psychology backgrounds and believe in the benefits. There are a lot of pro examples of success (ie, Evan Longoria). However, until there are much, much more affordable options, DD will just have to read a book or something.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
A "mental coach" can be helpful to those who have problems with the mental part of the game.

I think everybody has problems with the mental part of the game. Not to the extent that they may need professional help, but as a coach, I'm sure you are constantly managing and nurturing your team's mental health without being conscious of it. Teaching kids about competition and how to frame situations mentally is a big part of coaching. If you're successful at that, you're probably very good at that aspect. In fact, when seeking out a coach, at this point, I'd rather have one that improves her mentally than physically since I've got other folks in charge of her physical development.

Oct 1, 2014
USA
Bottom line whether it be in sports, music, business or life in general if someone can help you be better why wouldn't you pursue that resource? As in most things though there are good and bad "coaches" and not every coaches methods will work for you.

"Baseball is 90% mental, the other half is physical."
Yogi Berra

Feb 3, 2014
Our oldest DD has worked with a sports psychologist occasionally for a couple years. They sit down at a coffee shop & chat for an hour, and it seems like a different kid gets back in the car. DD says " after I talk to her, I feel like I'm 10ft tall & bulletproof " . Best sports related money we've ever spent.

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
Bottom line whether it be in sports, music, business or life in general if someone can help you be better why wouldn't you pursue that resource? As in most things though there are good and bad "coaches" and not every coaches methods will work for you.

"Baseball is 90% mental, the other half is physical."
Yogi Berra

Yogi is one of two people I refer to in discussions about the mental side of sports.

One of the great pioneers of sports psychology was a little over 100 years ago, a poor kid from an Indian college made the 1912 Olympic team. One the boat ride to Stockholm, the more cultured Olympians had a good laugh at the guy who would spend his time on the boat ride over doing weird things like "visualizing" his upcoming events. Then, the Indian kid, Jim Thorpe, wound up being the greatest athlete of his generation. Blew everyone away at the Olympics, greatest athlete in the world. Played pro baseball (mostly NY Giants) and semi-pro football (Canton Bulldogs) . Best player in the early days of the NFL. Even played some semi-pro basketball. Interesting, he played for both the NY Giants baseball club and the NY Football Giants.

After that, people started to think Thorpe's crazy "visualization" wasn't so crazy.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nate321