mechanical nightmare

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 23, 2013
PacNw
Ya, don't you dare quit on her. Was it over when the germans invaded pearl harbor?
Climb that mountain together, you will not regret it.

Is this some type of Jedi trick question? I'm not sure if it's something Yoda would say in Star Wars or if it's something Yogurt would say in Spaceballs. :D

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
CoachJames, I got nothing but love for you. It is great that you were able to keep your mouth shut during the game. I spent the last two years of my DD's HS years down the the left field line.

You are dealing with a 16YOA girl. You are just lucky she didn't turn into Freddie Krueger during the 6th inning.

She'll be fine.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
16u Dd and I have spent almost two years now of converting into IR from her original HE mechanics. She's never been all that fast (tops out at 54/55mph) however, her spin and excellent change up has her considered by many as a top pitcher in the area. She's an animal in the summer TB team. Literally averaging 13 k's a game and batting over .500... High School ball has been a absolute nightmare. Her confidence, drive, intensity, and mechanics are GONE!
While pitching last night she...
1. Arm was 12" off her ear at 12 o'clock
2. Palm forward HE release/ no whip
3. No snap or spin
4. Chest was over a soft and bent front side
5. Stepped off rubber and not leaping
6. Max speed was prob. 42/43 mph
I was explicitly told to stay quiet by her and her mom in past games. I would see a problem and tell her to make an adjustment and she did with a decent amount of success. But mums the word from here out. I said to her "Here's your chance to self correct, I'll be quiet"
So as I watch her look like a first year rec player last night and I hear the snares of the other parents murmuring about why she's still in the circle I get madder and madder to the point of explosion. I somehow managed to stay quiet.
Her batting wasn't any better! She'd rock the U but never bring it back up or draw back, so when she'd throw the barrel her hands were a foot below the ball.... total nightmare!
Not sure if we'll be continuing this journey...

Don't sweat it, this is the typical High School experience for elite level players. The good news is that it will take much less time than expected to get her back where she was before High School ball worked its magic.

Nov 29, 2009
But I can't imagine why the HS coach can't see the reduction in performance and not step in.

Maybe that's what happened, but not for the better. If you know what I mean. Watched a HE HS HC try to converter an IR throwing girl who was heading to the PAC10 to pitch. The dad finally told the coach to stop.

I don't think the other parents would like someone sniping about their kid. How ridiculous.

You ARE correct, but that doesn't stop them.

Nov 29, 2009
In games this season, w my own DD, I have really refrained from trying to actively coach her while shes out on the mound. Often times, she will look at me with pleading eyes for help, and then and only then will i give her a very sussinct prompt. (Its usually: "Legs")

I did this with my DD. Over the years I developed a set of hand signals that we used to use in noisy gyms when practicing. It was easier than trying to yell over the noise. I would never say a word during a game. But when the DD was struggling she had a signal she would give me and I could help her without saying a word in less than 5 seconds. The only people who knew what was going on were my DD and I. Most of the times the wife never saw it happen it was so fast. I would have to tell her.

I never called a pitch when I was outside the fence. I would just sit in my chair and watch or take pictures of her and her teammates.

Mar 2, 2014
I feel your pain. We have a girl like this pitching for our high school and we wish the coach would bench her. Some wonder if the coach receives a fee for playing her.

Oct 22, 2009
I feel your pain. We have a girl like this pitching for our high school and we wish the coach would bench her. Some wonder if the coach receives a fee for playing her.
I currently have a freshman, whose is an extremely good pitcher, throws 60 and gets a few conversations with some college coaches at scouting tournaments. Her high school coach REFUSES to pitch her. She hasn't thrown one game since the season started. She pitches the other freshman instead. Why? Because she won state with the freshmans older sister, and has a parent that is a local politician. Once the pitcher was getting shelled 8-0, and she still wouldn't put my pitcher in. I also wonder if there is some pressure there to not pitch my pitcher and never have anyone find out that someone is better than her "star".

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aclee4414