Measuring bat speed & ball exit speed

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
I was asking that if hypothetically the players swing is compact, then wouldn't the goal be to make the swing faster to produce a faster bat speed/ball exit speed?

I believe the point was that compact (quick) was not as good as longer (faster). The error in that logic being that a swing can be too long, just as it can be too short.

The point trying to be made was that some people concentrate on a compact swing at the price of bat speed. As a swing is made more compact a compromise is made in barrel speed. Take the exercise to a limit ... For example ... A 'bunt' is pretty compact, and the trade off is barrel speed.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I agree with you. But "if" the swing is compact/correct, all players strive for higher bat swing speed and ball speed. Correct?

Clearly, a faster bat will hit the ball harder, so improving bat speed is critical to improved hitting. The magic is in HOW that bat speed is created. A swing that is "compact" in terms of hand travel prior to impact, with sufficient barrel travel to reach a high velocity, is the ideal. This is why the concept of "turning the barrel" is far superior to pushing the hands rearward. Using the hands to rotate the bat can create a lot of barrel travel with zero hand travel. With this approach, bat speed can be generated early and the hand path can be "compact".

Cabrera_hands_side.gif

In this frequently-used clip of Mig, we can see his hands move a short distance in relation to his torso/shoulder, but the barrel of the bat travels in an arc behind him, turning to the swing plane. Long barrel travel, short hand travel. BAM!! Outta the yard!

Slappers

Don't like labels
Sep 13, 2013
Dumfries, VA
Holy cow!!! I can't thank you enough Eric. Another light bulb moment in the search for definitions of terms you guys use.

I am going to get a pocket radar here shortly. Has anyone used this to measure bat speed?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HCockell