Matrix, Elvis and Weight Shift

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 14, 2008
After the last post (use of back leg) went on as long as it did. I thought I might try to simplify and un muddy the waters about the 3 and how I believe they are inter connected. And how what some see as a bad cue used in its right form and manner can help kids understand the proper use of the back side , hip turn and torgue and weight shift.

The vid clip is the Matrix, those that follow the CB/Carrier method know it is done as slow as possible to feel every movement of the swing. If you will notice that the elvis move is more pronounced because of the speed in which the drill is done. Honestly I think that is where the trouble lays. That alot of folks actually believe when done in full speed the movement is the same. It cannot be, If done properly weight shift and momentum plus hip torque at the end will not allow the back toe to remain as it is in slow motion. Understand the drill is for the complete swing, top and bottom for the student to feel all of it. There is a ton happening all at one time which is why we move it in slow motion so no part gets lost or comes out of sequence.

Tim

Oct 14, 2008
The second clip is a full swing done at regular speed. The biggest difference maker in my eyes is the speed of which each is preformed and what that speed does in the swing.

The basic building blocks that are used to preform the bottom swing are enforced in the top swing. And that includes the elvis as well as weight shift. I hope for some it helps clear up things just a bit.

Tim

Jul 26, 2010
The only thing you accomplish by doing the matrix drill with the bottom half is getting the kid to "squish the bug". The kid has good mechanics in the bottom video in spite of this, not because of this. So, I'm saying that I agree with you, but I'm also saying that every drill does not work for every kid, and I think it's pretty clear as to why here.

-W

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Bouldersdad ... from my perspective the two swings are fundamentally different in terms of the rear leg usage. What is taking place in the slow-motion sequence is not as ideal as what is taking place in the full speed sequence. I hear what you are saying about how you are performing the slow-motion swing with a pause and breaking up the momentum, but IMO there is more different than just that. The actual rear leg usage is different.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
I was talking to Crystl Saturday about some of the comments on the Elvis move on this site. She got a real chuckle out of it. She stated if some of the experts on here want to contact her thru her site she would explain it to you. Tim do you think she will have any takers.

Oct 25, 2009
I was talking to Crystl Saturday about some of the comments on the Elvis move on this site. She got a real chuckle out of it. She stated if some of the experts on here want to contact her thru her site she would explain it to you. Tim do you think she will have any takers.

Does she read this site?

Oct 14, 2008

I have already mentioned it, put up the url for them to go to. I think it would be a great idea if anyone with doubts or questions would go to the source. Common sense to me but hey what do I know.

Tim

Oct 14, 2008
Bouldersdad ... from my perspective the two swings are fundamentally different in terms of the rear leg usage. What is taking place in the slow-motion sequence is not as ideal as what is taking place in the full speed sequence. I hear what you are saying about how you are performing the slow-motion swing with a pause and breaking up the momentum, but IMO there is more different than just that. The actual rear leg usage is different.

You are correct it is not ideal, it cannot be. It is ment as a training drill, and not ment to be taken to the plate and used as a swing. Think of the other drills we have kids do. Why do we not say thats not the way we swing why would we do that drill. Would anyone have their kids stand with their foot on the calf at the plate to weight shift? Probably not unless their a few fries shy of a happy meal. The Matrix, and the elvis it uses are just that a drill. It is a different avenue of approach to different kids. Some dont require or need it, some do. Different tools for different jobs.

I can take that drill use it and aquire the same results with any kid I teach as I have done with mine. It is a beginners drill, it is made for specific reasons.

What tickles me is that everyone wants one certain flawless fool proof drill that works, guess what so do I. When other instructors on here have found that drill let me know I will be the first one to give it a try. Until then. You have to use what brings results and works. The Matrix and elvis has filled that bill for me.

Tim