Marketable Positions

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
Infielders at 1B don't "go to die" but they better have a real good stick because as others have noted it is the "easiest" of the IF positions once you pass the point where everyone can catch the ball.

And as noted if you've got a girl who crushes but lacks the ability to move or throws left handed, 1B is probably going to be hers no matter how good your DD can scoop balls out of the dirt or make throws to third.

Jan 25, 2011
When young 1st base matters as everyone cannot catch. When older, everyone can catch, and 1st base becomes a place for the weaker players.

Always be a player who primarily plays somewhere else, who can also play 1st base.
Oh ok, first base is for a weaker player? A good first base man can make a SS look like a hero when the 1st base man has to dig those crappy throws out of the dirt. Good luck with your weaker player at first. They might not be the fastest player on the team, I will give you that, but that is it.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
I tend to agree with Sluggers re 1B at the upper TB and college levels. If a girl can play any other IF position well, they can be taught to play an above average 1B. DP is reserved for the kid with the big stick who can't pick the low throws. Remember Japan's Olympic team? All 4 IF players were SS.

May 31, 2012
I've heard a major d1 coach make the statement. I recruit pitchers,catchers, and SS. I want the best athletes on the field. I can teach the SS to play the other positions.. I've also heard the statement coaches recruit 4 positions. P,C,SS and CF.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
It's partly what some have said - the fact that as kids get older, they all can catch the ball. So lots of kids can hold down first.

But when you're talking the higher levels, it goes a step further - not only can all of them catch the ball, but almost all of them are pretty good fielders. They might not be good fielders relative to the outstanding fielders that surround them as teammates, but if you're playing high-end travel ball at 16+ or college softball, then you're probably skilled enough to play first base in a way that doesn't hurt the team, especially if you're given that position and work on it. The first basemen at those levels often are good enough to play other positions on lesser teams.

And while purists don't like to hear this, hitting is more important than fielding. You've got to get good hitters in the lineup.

Apr 26, 2012
One thing about my DD at 1st, at 12U we had her at SS because of her glove and arm . Told her at 14U she will never play IF positions other than 1st being left handed. She had played 1st before but OF was preference. Now she loves 1st and doesn't like being pulled for any reason. Will even play hurt if the team needs her, unless its a detriment and could eventually hurt the team.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
Totally agree with nano on this one... for me when I look for a 1B, she is usually taller for better reach, she doesn't usually have the skills to play OF, and most importantly she'll be awesome at digging one hops.
As far as being marketable??? That's a matter of interpretation. What does the team need? Maybe they need a power hitter or a slapper? Needs will vary from team to team. I would focus defensively on being a utility player, having the ability to play where your needed is invaluable. Work on long throws every day to build arm strength. And do a ton of sprints to build base path speed and even ball tracking speed.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Hi everyone. My DD will be a 1st yr 12u TB player this year. We are probably going to stay with her current team until next year when will try out for others. She plays 1st currently with 3rd being her secondary position. I'm thinking most higher level teams, unless she gets lucky, will be stacked at 1st. She's ok at 3rd but looking to see if there is an outfield position I can get her work in that may be more attractive to another team. I know its all based on their current need but looking to see if you had any opinions on it. She really wants a more competitive team with more practice etc. I think she is even tired of being the big fish in a small pond. Thanks!

Most girls playing 1B and 3B on high level TB teams bring a BIG BAT with them.....I would recommend working more on your DD's batting vs. teaching her how to play outfield. If she is knocking the cover off the ball, a good coach will find a place for her to play.

Aug 6, 2008
As far as positions go, there are essentially only four positions on a team: Pitcher, Catcher, Infield and Outfield. Look at a college roster and that's what you'll see. Sure, there's specialization, because there will always be girls on any given team that are better suited to a specific position. But in terms of basic skills, if you want to play high level fastpitch, infield is infield, and outfield is outfield! IMO, it's a huge mistake to look at 1B as a lower skilled position. Without side-to-side mobility, quickness and scooping ability (among others), a savvy coach just might play to your weakness and drag bunt you to death up the 1B line.

Look at the Indians - Nick Swisher alternates between RF an 1B on any given day.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mpalesse