Makes contact - but doesn't go far... what to work on?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 18, 2010
Illinois
My DD is 12 (12U travel team)... makes contact most the time, but almost always in the infield (majority are right up the middle - back to the pitcher). She can make good contact - just doesn't go anywhere.
What can I do to muscle her up & make those hits go somewhere?

May 16, 2010
My DD is 12 (12U travel team)... makes contact most the time, but almost always in the infield (majority are right up the middle - back to the pitcher). She can make good contact - just doesn't go anywhere.

Without video, it's impossible to say. But, power comes from using the body to power the bat, not the hands and arms, and the sequence is critical. The hands stay back while the legs drive the torso, and then the torso pulls the hands, then the hands throw the barrel. If that sequence is not there, you get no power.

Sep 18, 2012

Spend some time learning about the kinetic link in human performance as it relates to sports, and as it relates to generating momentum and energy. This will give you a good start. Size matters, but being small isn't a killer to power. Not using your body sequentially in the most favorable way has a lot more to do with not hitting for power than does size.

Oct 25, 2009

This is from the Model Swings thread post #502. Notice that she does NOT swing down. Also notice the knee cock; very beneficial:

You have come to the right place to help your DD. Read as many posts as possible by jbooth, FFS, et al. There are quite a few basic threads/posts and quite a few more higher level. Don't worry if it doesn't click right away. Try what they post and keep on reading and watching the video clips.

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MMMichigan1