Looking to Change Organizations...what are the right questions to ask?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 7, 2014
Western New York
I think autonomy is the biggest thing. We have been around since 1982 and let coaches run their team as they see fit so long as they uphold the ideals and traditions of the organization. No micromanaging or requiring attendance in specific tournaments.

My current organization has been around since 1979...ideals and traditions are somewhat in tact but their standards have dropped significantly. Factor in the showcase situation I mentioned in my OP and I cannot justify staying.

i.e. they stood up a new 16U travel team this year that wouldn't beat my 12U team with no regard for the organization's reputation...

CP

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
My current organization has been around since 1979...ideals and traditions are somewhat in tact but their standards have dropped significantly. Factor in the showcase situation I mentioned in my OP and I cannot justify staying.

i.e. they stood up a new 16U travel team this year that wouldn't beat my 12U team with no regard for the organization's reputation...

CP

Is someone making money off the org?

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan

CP
am I correct in what I am seeing. You are moving a 12u team over how the org manages s
College showcases. Is that correcf?

Jan 7, 2014
Western New York
am I correct in what I am seeing. You are moving a 12u team over how the org manages s
College showcases. Is that correcf?

Not quite...

We stood up 14/16/18U showcases a few years ago with the idea the girls in our travel organization wouldn't have to venture elsewhere to try and get college opportunities...

Almost no girls from our organization are on any of these teams...so the best girls in the organization end up leaving anyway...this is my prime reason for moving...I want to go to an organization that my girls could potentially stay with the organization (instead of the yearly shuffle) and play on their showcase teams.

Add on the fact that they will let anyone stand up a team with our name on it regardless of background checks, experience, etc just leaves a very watered down taste in my mouth. It used to be there was 1 or maybe 2 teams per age group and we produced strong teams. Now, we have 3 or 4 teams at every age group (except 10U where it really should count since those are the seedlings to keep your organization strong) and none of them are strong...

It's like being a ship that is sinking so slow many don't realize it's sinking...CP

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
No one should be...We are a non-profit...CP

Unfortunately, non-profit status does not preclude people from making money. Some people running them have become multi-millionaires. Often that is why organizations expand well beyond their capabilities. Someone has decided by franchising a name they can provide themselves with a decent stream of income.

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2009
Not quite...

We stood up 14/16/18U showcases a few years ago with the idea the girls in our travel organization wouldn't have to venture elsewhere to try and get college opportunities...

Almost no girls from our organization are on any of these teams...so the best girls in the organization end up leaving anyway...this is my prime reason for moving...I want to go to an organization that my girls could potentially stay with the organization (instead of the yearly shuffle) and play on their showcase teams.

Add on the fact that they will let anyone stand up a team with our name on it regardless of background checks, experience, etc just leaves a very watered down taste in my mouth. It used to be there was 1 or maybe 2 teams per age group and we produced strong teams. Now, we have 3 or 4 teams at every age group (except 10U where it really should count since those are the seedlings to keep your organization strong) and none of them are strong...

It's like being a ship that is sinking so slow many don't realize it's sinking...CP

On top of it

That's interesting. I wonder why no one from the original org is on top showcase teams? Are they not good enough? Or is it something else?

I seem to find that after 14U players need to find a showcase/exposure team that suits their goals. I'd say its pretty rare that a young 10 or 12U team stay together through 18U without holding players back or not really showcasing them to the schools they are probably best suited for. Unless everyone on that young team wants to and has the talent to basically attend the same type/group of colleges, in my experience after 14U players/families end up needing to find the showcase/exposure team that is the best fit for their student-athlete.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
That's interesting. I wonder why no one from the original org is on top showcase teams? Are they not good enough? Or is it something else?

I seem to find that after 14U players need to find a showcase/exposure team that suits their goals. I'd say its pretty rare that a young 10 or 12U team stay together through 18U without holding players back or not really showcasing them to the schools they are probably best suited for. Unless everyone on that young team wants to and has the talent to basically attend the same type/group of colleges, in my experience after 14U players/families end up needing to find the showcase/exposure team that is the best fit for their student-athlete.

I think the idea that you can take a group from 10/12U and keep them together through the showcase process is nonsense. Kids change in so many ways as they get older, which is why the attrition rate for 2nd year 14U is substantial. A good friend of mine has one of the best 14U teams anywhere and he had to make cuts and bring on new talent in their 2nd year. You find out at that age some kids are not cut out to play at a high level, or some not at all. My DD had to leave quite a few friends behind on her journey to realize her goals.

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2009
I think the idea that you can take a group from 10/12U and keep them together through the showcase process is nonsense. Kids change in so many ways as they get older, which is why the attrition rate for 2nd year 14U is substantial. A good friend of mine has one of the best 14U teams anywhere and he had to make cuts and bring on new talent in their 2nd year. You find out at that age some kids are not cut out to play at a high level, or some not at all. My DD had to leave quite a few friends behind on her journey to realize her goals.

Agree. Around/after 14u somewhere is when some kids/families have to leave the team they have been with to accomplish what they need to do as far as showcasing and getting the opportunity to play in college.

The scenario I most commonly see are good dad/mom coaches through 10/12/14 who have been somewhat successful with the team, are happy and all close friends try to hit the showcase circuit. That is where they usually have little or no clue what to do. In that scenario as well meaning as they probably are, they usually end up doing a disservice to those kids/families who feel they need to be "loyal" and stay who might want to reach a little "higher" for lack of a better term.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00