Questions to ask and/or things to know when joining a large "national" team

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 1, 2023
Do top club teams just tend to invite players to join their teams? Seems like OC Batbusters, Bandits, Bolts etc. wouldn't just be holding tryouts.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
Bingo! Word of mouth and many players age up within the program if they started at a young age.
I was approached by coaches at tournaments. They asked if she wanted to move teams. I thought it was done in bad taste, but apparently it's quite common.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Daughter, a junior (and not a pitcher if that matters), is currently being wooed by a couple of the large national teams - the flagship teams where the org owner/creator is always listed as the coach. What are some questions to ask before accepting, or maybe just some things to know that might shock someone who hasn't been involved at that level? We haven't heard a number, but we assume the fees will be at least triple what we're paying now. We've seen the summer schedules and we're good with them. It's one of those things where we don't know what we don't know.
"Being wooed"? How so?
If they are doing the wooing then I would be negotiating.
"We don't know what we don't know"
Find out. Ask direct questions about everything. Dues, expectations, play time, all of it.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Daughter, a junior (and not a pitcher if that matters), is currently being wooed by a couple of the large national teams - the flagship teams where the org owner/creator is always listed as the coach. What are some questions to ask before accepting, or maybe just some things to know that might shock someone who hasn't been involved at that level? We haven't heard a number, but we assume the fees will be at least triple what we're paying now. We've seen the summer schedules and we're good with them. It's one of those things where we don't know what we don't know.
"Being wooed"? How so?
If they are doing the wooing then I would be negotiating.
"We don't know what we don't know"
Find out. Ask direct questions about everything. Dues, expectations, play time, all of it.

Jun 20, 2015
off topic here, but the most epic hissy quit I've ever witnessed, player had gotten rotated out in top of 3rd. coach went to reinsert her in top of 4th for defense and player was missing. looking around you see, mom has girl's hand, dad dragging her bag, all three about 80% to the car. Adios ! this was few years back 12u.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
off topic here, but the most epic hissy quit I've ever witnessed, player had gotten rotated out in top of 3rd. coach went to reinsert her in top of 4th for defense and player was missing. looking around you see, mom has girl's hand, dad dragging her bag, all three about 80% to the car. Adios ! this was few years back 12u.
Not quite a public hissy quit. DD was the main catcher and this other girl caught too. She didn't get to play any innings at catcher on Saturday and no showed on Sunday. DD's team played 5 back to back games working their way through the loser's bracket. DD had to catch ALL 5 games. That sucked!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles