Looking for a cage bat for my DD

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Best bat I ever bought for dd to improve her hitting. She now LOVES hitting with wood.
61me9aYzROL._SY355_.jpg

Oct 16, 2014
I should have noted that the Nano (relatively true to weight and balanced, unlike the Techzilla and Rocketech) might be a good match for some bats. A would expect the Nano to give the Xeno a run for the money. Sounds like the lil one is going to be a beast!

when the Nano arrived I held the Nano and the Xeno in each hand with my eyes closed. Then swung them both with my eyes closed. They feel very similar, the Nano maybe only slightly heavier but balanced like the Xeno. DD likes the Nano and says she can use them interchangeably. For instance we played a tourney last weekend. On Saturday it was 69 degrees so she used her Xeno, on Sunday it was a windy 55 so she used her Nano. Got great hits both days!

And yes her little sister is totally a beast. Gonna give her big sis a run for her money ;-)

Jan 3, 2014
Best bat I ever bought for dd to improve her hitting. She now LOVES hitting with wood.
61me9aYzROL._SY355_.jpg

This makes me wonder. Most kids I know are hitting with a -10 drop, yes there are exceptions. Most wood bats are naturally around a -3 drop, some more. How heavy is too heavy for a practice bat and how often do you use them? My DD is not strong enough to swing a 32" 29 ounce bat and I'm concerned that hitting with something like that might actually hurt her swing more than help, even if just hitting of a tee.

How do you integrate a heavy wood bat into a hitting routine for kids that are used to swinging -10 bats. My son is stronger, and he swings a wooden bat most of the Winter. But, if it's too heavy, will it actually do damage to a kids swing?

Do I just wait until she's older and stronger? She's a 13, and does occasionally swing a -8 when hitting off the tee in the basement.

Laker

Jan 25, 2011
That's the thing about using a wooden bat. IMO, how many boys have you seen that look like monsters at the plate swing a little league type lighter bat? But when they move up to the H.S. Level and now have to swing a -3 bat and struggle to hit the ball. Look at their mechanics, now you can't get away with their old mechanics. I love my dd swing a wood bat durning the slow season. I say slow season because there doesn't seem to be break anymore. She has to have good mechanics with the wood bat. Her normal bat is a -8 cf6 or on occasion swings a 2006 Easton synergy -9, has a cf7 -9 but it was a waste of money, she says it feel light.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I had my 10yo DD swinging a wood bat as part of her hitting workout during the last "slow season". It helped a lot to increase strength, which we are now seeing paying off in significantly improved swing speed with her game bats.

Jul 31, 2011
A wood bat exposes swing flaws that a lighter bat masks. If you can swing well with wood, you can swing well with anything.

I said this exact thing to my daughter earlier tonight when I handed her a 33" maple wood bat to hit off the tee in the garage- she's pretty strong and really had no problem generating good bat speed. She often used a rather light 31" wood bat last year but has since moved to a 32" LXT -9 so I would rather she swings the 33" maple. Wood bats should be just a component of their hitting session (good overload training).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi