Long road for one pitch

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 31, 2011
It has been 14 months now. And DD finally has great control of her CU. It has been a long and bumpy road.

PC started her out last year with the flip change. I remember reading posts on how difficult it was to learn. She worked all winter on it and by spring last year had a decent CU. Not good, but still effective at times. She was only throwing it at about 25% in the strike zone. Sometimes it would sail high and sometimes roll over the plate. She used it on and off and got many a swinging strike with it. But she also had it lit up a couple of times when she floated it. This discouraged her, and going into fall ball she was very reluctant to use it.

This fall she asked her PC to try some different CU's. He showed her several and she practiced them, only to go back to the flip CU. He showed great patiences with her and explained why he thought what she was doing (flip change) would work very well for her. With a lot of encouragement from him and myself, she kept working on it. And this last month it has started to show. She is now throwing it for a strike almost at will and has great control with it on the corners.

After pitching lessons, she throws some BP for the older TB team (good team) at the location, while PC works with pitcher and catcher on calling pitches. The last few weeks, she has made it her go to pitch. She is throwing it often and with deadly effectiveness. Discovering (with help from PC), that even if hit, it rarely goes far. Her confidence has soared watching batters swing at it, to only stop half way through, realizing their mistake.

I myself was discouraged. I began to doubt the PC. But now that I have seen it work I am amazed at how effective it is against some really good batters.

Now we are working full out on the roll over drop, which is good now, but not great. I just hope it does not take 14 months to master. :)

With out a PC I would have moved her to the easiest CU I could find, and called it a day. Having patience in this sport is very hard for this bucket dad.

If not for reading this forum, I might have left the PC and found an easier road for her. Thanks to those on here with knowledge that care to share.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Something about that flip CU, lots of pitchers that I know have trouble getting it dead on. Too many give up and just go with a palmball CU which I don't like. The spin on the flip really works on the batters eyes.

My DD caught on very fast on every pitch but that dang it flip. I beat my head against a wall for a year, I'd get so mad. Funny thing is I can't throw her FB or breaking balls ( with her type speed ) but I could throw the flip like a pro from day one. And I just couldn't understand why she was having so much trouble.

Glad ya'll got it down, it is a awesome pitch.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Congratulations

DD will be trying to throw a CU during games this year, I am worried when it gets crushed she is going to want to give up throwing it and stick with her FB. I am not sure she understands that the same batter might have crushed her FB. I am worried her Manager might feel the same way.

Sounds like your DD is over this hurdle, again Congratulations.

Jul 25, 2011
Southern Illinois
More proof that hard work pays off. The flip change is the only cu my dd has tried. She picked up on it really quickly, for how difficult I hear it is to master. She hasn't mastered it yet but working on it. Her biggest problem is not getting her hand around early enough. She is a hard worker and I have no doubt she will get it down.

Nov 29, 2009
Her biggest problem is not getting her hand around early enough

One of the ques that I use with a pitcher who is learning the FC is tell her to be sure her thumb is pointing straight down if she was sticking it out when her arm hits the 9:00 position. This helps them in getting the hand turned soon enough to get completely turned with the back of the hand facing the catcher as she starts through the release.

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2011
One of the ques that I use with a pitcher who is learning the FC is tell her to be sure her thumb is pointing straight down if she was sticking it out when her arm hits the 9:00 position. This helps them in getting the hand turned soon enough to get completely turned with the back of the hand facing the catcher as she starts through the release.
Had a big problem with this. It was a lot of the problem.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YOUNGG