Lesson with Rich Balswick

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
We had the pleasure of getting to spend an hour with Rich on Friday while we visited family in the Bay Area. When I get back home I will try to see if any of the video is post worthy, I doubt it since it was pretty loud but I will look. What struck me about the difference between seeing him and the other PCs we have had lessons from was the fact that he had an enormous focus on spin QUALITY. He had her warmup and after seeing that she could pitch with decent control and her speed was age appropriate, he did not say one word about speed or control, he went straight to spin. He literally had her throw 2 drops, a couple of changeups and a couple of riseballs, the drops had a good axis, the CU looked decent, he gave her one bit of advice on the CU and then focused exactly where the help was needed on the Riseball.

This is in stark contrast to other sessions we have had with PCs where a good portion is always spent trying to give instruction on how to tweak DD to match what a PC thinks the motion should look like and then little or no spin instruction.

So we basically got a full lesson on the Riseball with a little curve instruction thrown in which really is exactly what I was hoping he would focus on. Even with the RB, he did not waste any time with non essential instruction, he talked to her to see if she understood her body position as it pertained to the drop and rise, asked her if she brushed her hip when she threw and then just focused on teaching her that there are three ways a riseball can come off the hand, that only one of them is correct and how to identify and fix the other two. Everything he said made perfect sense and he explained it in a way that a 12 year old girl could understand. He gave her some great drills to work on and as fast as we got there time expired. Towards the end he started to focus on her drive but we ran out of time so we will pick that back up on the next trip.

The difference I saw in a lesson with someone of his caliber was that he really had very little ego, by that I mean that aside from getting open, having good balance and have a little brush, there was no agenda to get a kid to conform to a look in her pitching. He was far more concerned with getting the right SPIN.

I can't wait to make another trip up north and get some info on the drive, hopefully next time I can corner BM as well.

To those of you in areas where you do not have access to someone of his caliber or the means to afford the lessons, I can tell you that by following what is generally taught on this site by the experts here (he even comes by once in a while) you are still following the same general teaching roadmap. FYI he had nothing but great things to say about BM, Rick Pauly and JS. Great guy, looking forward to another visit.

javasource

6-4-3 = 2
May 6, 2013
Western NY
... focused on teaching her that there are three ways a riseball can come off the hand, that only one of them is correct and how to identify and fix the other two.

I asked Rich about this... still waiting on his response! ;) Mind sharing the whole story here... not just the teaser? ;)

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Hoping that he addresses "Spins" in his next video. As I recall, his release reminds me of the Osterman .gif that JS has posted. I believe he likes the hand to finish in a "gun" gesture with index pointing up/forward and the thumb out.

Last edited:

javasource

6-4-3 = 2
May 6, 2013
Western NY
He's had a lot of success with it personally... as have his students... that's why I'm curious to hear his experiences instructing it... his method is obviously successful. Come on, JJ... ;)

Jun 18, 2010
Article here.

Before Cheridan Hawkins met pitching coach Rich Balswick, the Anderson (Calif.) softball team had a losing record. And Cheridan wasn't much more than a player who "wanted to pitch," but wasn't putting fear into any opposing batters.

During her freshman season, Hawkins struck out 84 and the Cubs won 9 of 28 games. As a sophomore, Hawkins had 223 strikeouts and the team was 11-19.

Then came "the real deal pitching coach," as AHS coach Charley Hawkins calls Balswick, a former All-American pitcher and now a full-time pitching coach. "He changed the way she pitched, the way she thought about pitching and gave her confidence she didn't have before."

After seven months of weekly pitching sessions and daily drills, Cheridan - and Anderson - took California's Northern Section by surprise in 2011. She struck out a Northern Section record 510 batters.

"He (Balswick) has given me confidence that I can throw my pitches and that I have the right spin.," said Cheridan. "It doesn't matter how fast you throw, it's all about spin and movement. Mechanics are the key. He led me to the right path to be successful."

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2010
Coach Hawkins also doubles as Cheridan's dad. And biggest supporter. Every Thursday for seven months, he drove Cheridan three hours each way for her hour-long appointments with Balswick.

Balswick said "Cheridan is possibly the most diligent worker I've ever coached. Certainly a key to her success has been her work ethic."

Hawkins pitched every day of the week, usually throwing 200 balls into a screen.

Some of Balswick's past clients include UCLA's three-time All-American Angelica "Jelly" Selden, Jessica Moore (Oregon), USA team player Val Arioto (Cal), Erin Arevalo (Georgia) and Michelle Gascoigne (Oklahoma) to name just a few.

javasource

6-4-3 = 2
May 6, 2013
Western NY
I really like this line, and wish people would realize how important it really is:

"She worked every week with Balswick and every day on drills. She didn't face a batter for seven months."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06