Legal or Not - (Realize this has been a hot topic of late in separate threads)

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 17, 2012
I think you hit the nail on the head which is the integrity issue. Coaches who teach techniques that say do it until you're called. Parents that know thier child is doing something against the rules but get mad when it's only their child that gets called. Umpires that don't want to call something because they don't have the fortitude or the backing to do so. Organizations that turn a blind eye to something or then change a rule because they don't want to enforce a rule.

It's not just softball. See the the Houston Astros.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Remember the time when a baserunner left early and the umpire missed it? The base runner then removed herself from the field as it was against the rules to leave early.

Yeah me neither.

Integrity when it's convenient for your team I suppose.

Mar 29, 2023
Remember the time when a baserunner left early and the umpire missed it? The base runner then removed herself from the field as it was against the rules to leave early.

Yeah me neither.

If a coach or parent is teaching their child to intentionally break the rules when they are running they bases (i.e. watch the umps eyes and leave early), that is certainly an example of lack of integrity. Accidentally leaving too early or messing up is not the same thing at all.

Feb 15, 2017

Yeah me neither.

I don't think integrity means what you think it means...

Feb 15, 2017
I didn’t bring up integrity, I just agreed that people should try and have some.

This conversation reminds me of the ones I have with my wife about her work. Yeah your coworkers are idiots..why is it upsetting you, you should expect that by now. Just do what you know YOU are supposed to do…

When I first took the job I have I tried the whole change the world one soapbox at a time thing..tilting at one academic “integrity windmill “ after the other. All it did was pretty much ruin my career and most of the pleasure I took in the job. Other adults don’t care what your version of integrity is.
Would you prefer your career to be better or would you prefer that you're proud of the person that you are and you go to sleep at night with a clean conscience?

I was the CFO of an entity of a public corporation. CEO wanted me to inflate inventory levels at the end of the year to make the Financials look better. I refused. He said he didn't need a CFO then. It cost me my job and significantly hurt my income potential and career, but I'm proud that I did it and can sleep at night. Integrity.

Jun 8, 2016
Would you prefer your career to be better or would you prefer that you're proud of the person that you are and you go to sleep at night with a clean conscience?

The things I was taking stands on were not worth it (grade stuff, somebody effectively trying to pay their way into an acceptance to grad school,etc). I wasn’t smart enough to know I wasn’t in a position to fight those battles. In reality taking the moral high ground on such things (it’s debatable whether anybody was getting hurt in those circumstances) was selfish. At the time it did make me feel good like you alluded to but my family would be better off if I made more money.

Last edited:
May 29, 2015
All the pitchers I posted separate the hands normally. It has nothing to do with when you separate the hands. Like I mentioned it’s a style created by coiling.

Yes men keep the hands together, some.

Except that the rules state the pitch starts when the hands separate.

May 13, 2023
Well, 😏Maybe the discussion about what the pitchers feet are doing is a fantastic distraction from conversation of what The umpire Strike Zone is...

Helpful reminder
as a batter, its best to focus on the ball! 👍

Nov 3, 2022
I think this is legal.
I think what you have to consider is once the leap is legal, you have to allow the back foot to land. Not every landing will be a replant.
this is EXACTLY why I said they should never have made the leap legal. because of slippery slope arguments like this. if your back foot lands before the front one, that has to be replanting and gaining an advantage - distance from the pitching plate and force.

they should have kept the "pls. drag the back foot but if your foot comes up slightly b/c of irregularities in the ground, we won't call it, but try to do your best on this, in the spirit of fair competition" rule. what we have now is the "go ahead and leap, don't worry about your back foot, I guess try not to replant/push off *too much*, but really how is anyone going to notice or have the guts to call it anyway - so in your uber competitive town/club, coaches go ahead and (even more) teach your 12 year olds this cheat code to be throwing 58mph as a freshman" rule.

rant still ON!

Sep 1, 2021
if your back foot lands before the front one, that has to be replanting and gaining an advantage - distance from the pitching plate and force.
Would you say the same thing if the player kept their toe on the ground but the back foot landed flat prior to the front foot?
That's become more common and also never called.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi