Leg Drive Help!!!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

ArkFastpitch

Dont' I know you?
Sep 20, 2013
DD is a 10u pitcher and has been pitching for the last 2 1/2 years. For the last 2 years we have really been trying to get a good leg drive out of her. We have tried every drill and exercise known to man. When she does her dry pitch drills "no ball" she does beautifully, but as soon as you put a ball in her hand she goes back to all arm.

Jun 24, 2013
When she has a ball is she always pitching to a target? Maybe have her try pitching with a ball with no target. For example put the pitching plate in about 30’ from the backstop and just have her throw into the backstop. How is her leg drive doing this?

Another thing DD did was mark a range where her front foot should land with her heal in the dirt. She did not look down all the time but if she felt she did something wrong she would look down. She did this in games as well as practice.

Last edited:

ArkFastpitch

Dont' I know you?
Sep 20, 2013
She does pretty good during drills but can't seem to figure out how to make it work with her pitch motion. I've even tried having her pitch from a sprinters start to get the feel of using her legs to drive herself forward.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
I second both James and riseball's advice.

I might suggest starting even closer to the net and if she demonstrates decent form and control, have her take a step back for every 3 good pitches to the middle of the net with good form. If she fudges, she has to take a step forward. Give her feedback on both good and bad, but also ask her how it felt and help her learn to feel the difference. It might also help to take two videos--one of her using the strong drive and another using the weak drive and ask her to evaluate. At the same time, show her a few examples from the Model Pitchers sticky and ask her what she thinks about setting a goal to emulate one of these pitchers.

Have you posted a video of her on the site?

Ken

Jun 18, 2010
Keep in mind this is a journey, a marathon. Oh how I remember being frustrated working with my DD when she was 10. She is now 15, and we are still sorting out all of the details. She'll get it, it just takes a lot of trial and error.... then there is the questions of when to stop tweaking because of the upcoming season.... so much to cram into our off season (do we have an off season?). As they get older, it gets easier. They start to become more self aware of their body positions and how certain movement feel. IMO you are doing it right by working on the lower by doing dry runs w/o the ball allowing her to focus on the lower and the feel. 5 w/o a ball to every 1 with... rinse and repeat. Video, watch video of your model, talk with your DD about what she sees and feels... then when you least expect it, a light bulb will come on, and she'll repeat something you have told her 100 times and she'll say, "oh, now I get it"....

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
I would not do this on a regular basis. Maybe take her to a baseball filed and have her throw off the mound. This will "encourage" her to stride and maybe get you past what appears to be more of a mental hurdle than one that is physical. Also at 10U I would not lose sleep over her not using her legs. Lots of things to work on so take your time. Eventually she will come around.

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
I would not do this on a regular basis. Maybe take her to a baseball filed and have her throw off the mound. This will "encourage" her to stride and maybe get you past what appears to be more of a mental hurdle than one that is physical. Also at 10U I would not lose sleep over her not using her legs. Lots of things to work on so take your time. Eventually she will come around.

riseball... could you explain this "throw off the mound" thing?

May 24, 2013
California
just a bucket dad, my DD ( 11) is working on her lower half as well (among other things). Something that helped her was being able to feel the effects of using the lower half versus all arms. We did, 10-20 walk up then alternated 1 step on to rubber (walk up) pitch then 1 pitch starting from on the rubber. This allowed her to feel the effects of using the lower half. No target just throwing into the backstop/fence. Being able to feel the difference pitch by pitch really helped her. Then we took a few vids and compared it to the stuff on Java's drive mechanics thread so she can see what she's doing & trying to accomplish. Very little progress then one day things started to click for her. When I ask her what changed, she told me this feels natural and easier. It is a work in progress for sure but DD's getting better. Good luck

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
riseball... could you explain this "throw off the mound" thing?

I use this very sparingly as it can have negative consequences if done often as it has a potential to screw up their mechanics. By throwing off an elevated mound a pitcher gets the feel of the result of a more aggressive push. The stride lengthens and they experience what it feels like to have a strong front side and develop torque. Kind of like the difference between running on flat ground vs down a slight incline.

I have also used this for the 5% of pitchers that I teach to throw a rollover drop. Do not like the pitch unless they can own it.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KittyGoneWild