Leaning back when hitting the ball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
what are you referring to as overlap?
In a simple description, top (hands) still going back as the bottom (hips) is starting forward.
ACraig_1Bview_rearleg.gif

Last edited:
May 24, 2013
So Cal
Hitting is the hardest thing in sports to do. I'm pretty sure there are kids that throw well but can't hit well. What's your opinion on that?

Yes, HITTING is hard. Hitting includes the athletic coordination to get the barrel of the bat squared up to a moving ball. This is the biggest factor in hitting success. A player can have a mechanically-excellent swing, but if they don't have the athletic ability to make consistent solid contact, they fail as a hitter. Conversely, we see lots of hitters with "flawed" swings who reach very high levels of success because of their pure athletic ability to hit the damn ball.

What we're really talking about is SWING mechanics and THROWING mechanics. I see quite a few young hitters who throw hard and have decent swings, but don't have outstanding success at the plate. It happens pretty frequently, and my DD is one of them. For a 10yo, my DD has a well-above-average arm, and has the ability to swing the bat very fast. Her ability to square up on a pitch, however, is still developing.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Why is this described as overlap? This is the action that powers the swing. But any idea as to why it has been coined overlap?

I don't know. Someone called it that before I came around to the world of hitting geeks. It makes sense to me.

Are you shifting and swinging...or are you shifting then swinging? Can you please define how you can overlap...yet still shift AND swing?

Shift and swing is proper. See the clip of Allen Craig posted by RDB. Control by the rear leg and hip is important in getting things done correctly.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Are you shifting and swinging...or are you shifting then swinging? Can you please define how you can overlap...yet still shift AND swing?

Sorry, inside joke but, last time a poster asked that question...
he disappeared and so did the thread.
200.gif

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Get a glossary of common used hitting terminology!

Commonly used by whom? For the swing mechanics discussions that happen on this forum and others, "separation" is pretty common.

OK so your separation is my..walk away from the hands.

I would consider "walk away from the hands" a cue to encourage the action of separation.

Last edited:
May 24, 2013
So Cal
Great so a glossary of terms would be a worth while thread.

You're right! However, there isn't always a consensus on what terms to use to describe a particular movement. Some seem intent on using new terms to describe the same old thing - LOL.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MMMichigan1