LBR Violation?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 27, 2022
This may seem like a rudimentary question, but I am looking for a second opinion. I tried to attach a graphic to visualize the situation as well.

1. Pitcher pitches and runner at 2nd comes off the base
2. Catcher throws back to pitcher
3. As pitcher receives the ball, the runner starts walking to third
4. The pitcher looks at the runner who, after three steps decides to return to 2nd. No motion to engage runner at all.

Should that be a LBR violation and runner called out?

Attachments

• Look Back Explanation.gif
    Look Back Explanation.gif
    185.3 KB · Views: 20

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
This may seem like a rudimentary question, but I am looking for a second opinion. I tried to attach a graphic to visualize the situation as well.

1. Pitcher pitches and runner at 2nd comes off the base
2. Catcher throws back to pitcher
3. As pitcher receives the ball, the runner starts walking to third
4. The pitcher looks at the runner who, after three steps decides to return to 2nd. No motion to engage runner at all.

Should that be a LBR violation and runner called out?

No, the runner is entitled one change of direction.

As long as the runner was moving towards third as or before the pitcher received the ball they are good as described as the return to second was the change of direction allowed.

Feb 13, 2021
MI
If the runner stopped and hesitated more than a second, before returning to 2nd, that would trigger the LBR correct?

Correct, with the understanding that hesitated more than a second is quite subjective.

May 27, 2022
No, the runner is entitled one change of direction.

As long as the runner was moving towards third as or before the pitcher received the ball they are good as described as the return to second was the change of direction allowed.
What if they started toward third immediately AFTER the pitcher caught the ball from the catcher?

May 27, 2022
If the runner stopped and hesitated more than a second, before returning to 2nd, that would trigger the LBR correct?

Correct, with the understanding that hesitated more than a second is quite subjective.
I would argue that a second is too long. The rulebook says that a decision must be made immediately after the pitcher has the ball.

May 27, 2022
Did the runner stop and did the pitcher make any type of movement, other than catch and look in the circle?
Runner stopped during the pitch

Runner started to third right after pitcher caught the ball

Pitcher made no movement at the runner except to turn and look at her

Sep 22, 2021
Sioux Falls, SD
I wouldn't call it out, unless the runner just froze and looked longer than that second, then went back. Probably one we need to really see in realtime.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles