Kristen Nottelmann at 120FPS

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 12, 2009
I'm trying to learn about pitching, and a good way to do that is to study what good pitchers do.

Here's a clip of Kristen Nottelmann of Mizzou that I shot a few weeks ago. This is a 120FPS clip and it shows some pretty interesting detail.

Public_KristinNottelmann_120FPS_C.gif

Public_KristinNottelmann_120FPS_SF.gif

I see some stuff I've heard of (e.g. back leg drive and IR) and none of some other stuff (e.g. wrist snap and elbow follow through stuff).

I'd be interested in what others see in this clip.

Last edited:
May 18, 2009
Fantastic slow motion video. The rear leg looks great dragging the tip of the toe. The elbow leads the downswing. Look how perfectly her head and shoulders stay on the same plane. The drive is to the plate and not up. The hand rotates into position at the bottom of the arm whip and has a good follow through.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
Probably a riseball, having a finger tip digging into the ball is one of the grips. If it was a changeup or a drop the palm would be more behind the ball.

Apr 30, 2011
Portland, Or
Is she swimming? Her left arm looks like it gets almost straight out from her side. If so, does this present a big problem (should be corrected in our DDs) or maybe not so much. Or am I not fully understanding swimming?

Thanks

Mar 25, 2011
Yes. I'd agree that arm is pretty far out there, and she is quite closed in this pitch. It doesn't appear she actually opens up all the way at any point.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooneyham6877