Keeping a pitcher's head 'Straight', for GG

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 1, 2013
Wooster Mass
HOF and FR,

Have you ever put a young team on auto-pilot like I described? I suspect not. You both sound like the type of coaches that could not possibly let go of the reigns. And the college coaches have to call the games why??? Because nobody ever taught the pitchers and catchers how. No coach would give them the chance or teach them how.

But, any other coach that even suggests that is 'Busch league' or 'Classless'??? Are you the type of coaches that teach young players that they cannot perform without you in the dugout? You are coaching a team of competitive athletes, or at least you should be. You sound like you think these young ladsies are weak and not intelligent. That is sad.

Yes i always yell to my pitcher and say , hey you are stupid. You cant do anything without me. i also tell my whole team the are dumb and weak. Only someone with a certain type of ego would even dream this up.

At no point do i think talking crap is a classy or effective thing to do. I ve seen coaches like that and again. It makes good coaches do things they would never do...like argue with the jerk of a coach in front of kids. Its nothing but trouble. Why do it? I played baseball basketball and football and i have heard my share of crap talk ....big deal..and dont let this fool you, im all for being competitive and sometimes been accused of being to competitive with my girls teams. But this is ridiculous.

The funny part about all of your theories and posts are you patting yourself on the back for figuring out the most elementary things, who doesnt know to let kids think on their own? Maybe your coaching style is just an excuse for your lazyness?

You also would tell your catcher to degrade a 12 year old girl, amazingly enough you admitted to that. I can no longer coverse with you or weigh in on this.You win

I lose.

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2012
Simply yelling, "Throw hard", 3 or 4 return throws in a row, with a little more irritating tone in the catcher's voice each time, can usually irritate a pitcher enough to force them to focus on the catcher and forget about everything else. They will also normally start throwing very hard to try and knock the catcher on her backside for yelling that during the game.

Yes 12 yr old girls love it when another 12 yr old girls insults them in front of everyone. And apparently you believe these girls will respond like Rocky and strike out the next three batters on 9 pitches. I guess they would never try to "overthrow", get even more frustrated, lose their composure even more so, tense up and lose their form or say "screw the catcher, learn to frame".

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
I have had pitchers and catchers at pitching lessons. I would whisper what the catcher should say. Did it get the pitcher angry at her about the 4th or 5th time? Yes it did. And guess what, she started throwing faster trying to break that mouthy catchers hand.

Now the catcher knows what she needs to do if she thinks her pitcher is slacking off.

Saying something to the pitcher about the batter,, does that insult the batter?? Gonna depend on the individual batter. At the least it is going to break the batters concentration. The batter wants to get in the box, take their stance and NOT BE DISTURBED. I say make them think about what the catcher just said to the pitcher. Why not break their concentration. Why would you want to make it easier on the batters? They certainly dont want to make anything any easier on the pitcher and catcher?

Nov 27, 2010
I GOTTA get this book! It sounds like it must be chock-full of terrific jokes. I have no issues with my catcher "talking" to the pitcher and even doing so with the intention of a little distraction to the batter. But "easy out!"? Really? Really.........funny stuff!

Jul 17, 2012
Don't change your tune now Hal.... your catcher can and should be vocal... but not to the tune of insulting the young girl standing in the batters box as you suggest with your very specific examples. The catcher doesn't need to insult the pitcher to get her fired up, or to help her focus. I LOVE when a catcher, without being queued by the coach, can recognize when the pitcher is frazzled and will take the initiative to call time and go out to talk to her. We encourage it. More often than not, when a pitcher that knows her trade is struggling, she starts overthinking...and a quick visit by the catcher can get her out of her own head and get her to do what she knows how to do. As for sitting back and putting your team on "Cruise Control", I don't believe in doing so. Your job as the coach is to "Coach". You're aware of every aspect of the game and you are constantly teaching your players......in practices, and in games. If you have nothing to add to the game...maybe that's when you end up being the guy that sits in the stands eating hot dogs with the crazy parents thinking up bush league "tactics" to to gain an unsportsmanlike edge. I prefer to teach the girls the game and instill a sense of sportsmanship and healthy competition ..... win or lose.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
I have had pitchers and catchers at pitching lessons. I would whisper what the catcher should say. Did it get the pitcher angry at her about the 4th or 5th time? Yes it did. And guess what, she started throwing faster trying to break that mouthy catchers hand.

Now the catcher knows what she needs to do if she thinks her pitcher is slacking off.

Saying something to the pitcher about the batter,, does that insult the batter?? Gonna depend on the individual batter. At the least it is going to break the batters concentration. The batter wants to get in the box, take their stance and NOT BE DISTURBED. I say make them think about what the catcher just said to the pitcher. Why not break their concentration. Why would you want to make it easier on the batters? They certainly dont want to make anything any easier on the pitcher and catcher?

Hal baby- the issue is one of class and sportsmanship, no need to resort to these distracting the batter tactics, just beat em with your play. As for the catcher keeping the pitcher's head straight, that is the catcher's job and she will have to develop it with each pitcher. some will need an ego stroke, some a kick in the pants. One size definitely does not fit all.

Jul 17, 2012
I GOTTA get this book! It sounds like it must be chock-full of terrific jokes. I have no issues with my catcher "talking" to the pitcher and even doing so with the intention of a little distraction to the batter. But "easy out!"? Really? Really.........funny stuff!

I was thinking about picking up a copy as well for the sake of entertainment. Just remember, you won't find it in the instructional section of your local library.... you need to look in the fiction section.

Dec 1, 2013
Wooster Mass
Hal baby- the issue is one of class and sportsmanship, no need to resort to these distracting the batter tactics, just beat em with your play. As for the catcher keeping the pitcher's head straight, that is the catcher's job and she will have to develop it with each pitcher. some will need an ego stroke, some a kick in the pants. One size definitely does not fit all.

Exactamundo....I don't think easy out or you own her is the way to go ever... Or sitting in the stands while you are coaching. There is always ALWAYS THINGS YOU CAN BE DOING... EVEN IF IT TELLING THEM WHO'S UP.. WHERE THEY ARE PLAYING OR TELLING THEM WHICH INSULT TO USE.

Aug 20, 2013
I am not a catcher and I would never instruct a catcher. I glanced over Hal's post and took the high point of using a single phrase or word to get her attention back on me--I don't think there is a problem with doing that during a practice or a lesson. And no I am not going to insult my daughter, but asking her to "throw harder" isn't really an insult in my book.

GG

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KittyGoneWild