Justin Stone doesn't believe in "turning the barrel"

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 10, 2008
Central PA
At the 40:21 mark of his online webinar, he says what a lot of players do who don't get to a good first move (slotting of the elbow) is drop the barrel (on this web site it's the turning of the barrel) and swing around their bodies.

What I see the most of the best hitters do is get this running start that starts the slotting of the elbow/turning the triangle (almost simultaneously, but not quite). He even uses the "knob to the tee" as a drill to teach hand path.

I'm surprised to see this. IMO, everything he says about loading is great. Red flags for me (based on what I see from hitter videos and the application of the Hanson Principle), are he doesn't advocate hip coiling into toe touch (nothing about it in this vid and his drill work on getting to toe touch lacks this mechanic), and what I noticed about his comments on hand path.

Thoughts?

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
No thoughts just a couple facts.
1. That video is from several years ago.
2. Things I posted this morning:
what sents the barrel into it's rearward arc, before it turns the corner, is pressure from the hands perpendicular to the handle.....creates early bat speed....as opposed to pulling handle down the length or pushing the knob (like this (shows it)of the handle which forces you with 100% certainty to push the bat out front and create bat speed out here (shows out in front)...
From week 6 segment "True barrel path and early bat speed"
from the sequential training 12 week videos (newer).

and more I wrote from his the newer $1 course:
"....that is a key part of the sequence, don't leave that part out, the hands creating pressure perpandicular to the handle."
"You must create bat speed behind the corner."

Sorry there isn't more distinction from the older stuff without spending a $1. I am not defending him...just myself from my first statement weeks ago.
I can't find anything I really disagree with on it...

PS....I was on the live webinar when he first launched with that video you are getting your comments from...if anyone hasn't seen it...I wouldn't bother.

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2008
Central PA
Thanks for the clarification, RHC. You can see why I was surprised - some have praised him on here, and it didn't seem to match what people buy into. Glad I watched the entire #$@&! 49 minutes! :)

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
I was wondering when this would be brought up ......

To be fair ... notice the placement of the tee and what it is meant to represent. Notice that it is 'high', 'deep' and that is not meant to be representative of where the ball would be. But also notice how he guides the bat of the person performing the demo during his description .... that is not a description of the hands creating pressure perpendicular to the handle.

Last edited:

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
I comment on this earlier. I didn't know this was from a couple of years ago. I stated I didn't like the knob to the tee move. I also commented on the Rearleg usage that I didn't like on all the tee demo's. My comments were on this video webinar. That is why I decided to keep my $1 for a McDee's dollar menu burger.

Mar 14, 2011
Silicon Valley, CA
JS's earlier material was better on this. He went through a short phase where this slotting series was probably IMO some of the weaker material he has ever put out.

This material is part of "building the major league swing" from a couple of years ago. The video shown by FFS is from the Building videos.

As redhot pointed out, this is not at all what you will get in the 12 week program. The building videos are still up on the website, but do not buy, or if you do, beware of the hand path section.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
JS's earlier material was better on this. He went through a short phase where this slotting series was probably IMO some of the weaker material he has ever put
out.
This material is part of "building the major league swing" from a couple of years ago. The video shown by FFS is from the Building videos.

As redhot pointed out, this is not at all what you will get in the 12 week program. The building videos are still up on the website, but do not buy, or if you do, beware of the hand path section.

I feel bad for those kids but, it was just a $1. So no harm? I'm sure he has it right this time?

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
That was free stuff rdb.

Couple questions for you,
Do you think I am losing it!"?
Do you think I am lying?
Do you I don't know what I am talking about?
DO YOU WANNA GO?! Just kidding.

Just wondering how you have such an opinion on material....YOU HAVE NEVER SEEN!?

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
I have watched the 49 min. webinar. I comment and stated that I have only watched the free stuff. I will not plunk down a $1. I'm still commenting on the webinar. I thought the thread was on that webinar. FFS has posted clips from the webinar. That is what MrT commented on and I am responding to his comments. I thought you were chatting about the game?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nate321