Jays/Rangers getting weird!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 6, 2013
Baja, AZ
Thx. Haven't looked at ASA Rule Book on that play yet, but it seems that it's the same scenario as this MLB. Live ball, run scores.

Jun 22, 2008
The rule is ASA 7-6-U exceptions. If no play is being made and the batter accidentally makes contact with the catchers return throw to the pitcher.

But, this is one I am going to have to disagree with Bretman on. The rule says if the batter accidentally makes contact with the return throw. In the video the batter was standing still and the catcher threw the ball into the batter. That I would just call a dumb move on the catchers part and it is a live ball.

Mar 13, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
The rule is ASA 7-6-U exceptions. If no play is being made and the batter accidentally makes contact with the catchers return throw to the pitcher.

But, this is one I am going to have to disagree with Bretman on. The rule says if the batter accidentally makes contact with the return throw. In the video the batter was standing still and the catcher threw the ball into the batter. That I would just call a dumb move on the catchers part and it is a live ball.

My thought is that the ASA rule applies to ANY unintentional contact between the ball and the batter on a return throw to the pitcher. In other words, we don't have to judge if the ball hit the batter or the batter hit the ball.

Look at it this way- what would you rule if a batter INTENTIONALLY contacted the return throw? It wouldn't be interference because there was no play being interfered with. But if you left the ball live in that instance, runners could possibly advance. That would benefit the offense for their intentional act. So the wording of "the batter accidentally making contact with the return throw" is really just an editorial quirk, not a narrow stipulation that requires the umpire to make a determination of the batter's intent.

I believe that the rule is intended to kill the ball on any contact, to prevent any runner's advance and to allow both sides to "reset".

Mar 13, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
So when an umpire calls dead ball it is a dead ball until such time is they change their mind? What about a foul ball, same thing?

Ideally, you hope that you never call a dead ball when the situation doesn't warrant it. But if you do, remember that there is a guideline for umpires that if a call is reversed they can place runners as they see fit to remedy the reversed call. In the Jays game it was judged that the dead ball call didn't impede the defense and that the runner would have scored anyway.

The rule of thumb is that once a ball is called foul you should stick with the call. Many times the defense will stop playing or the runner will stop running in reaction to a foul ball. In Major League Baseball they do reverse foul calls- I've seen it happen myself several times.

Jul 10, 2014
C-bus Ohio
My thought is that the ASA rule applies to ANY unintentional contact between the ball and the batter on a return throw to the pitcher. In other words, we don't have to judge if the ball hit the batter or the batter hit the ball.

Look at it this way- what would you rule if a batter INTENTIONALLY contacted the return throw? It wouldn't be interference because there was no play being interfered with. But if you left the ball live in that instance, runners could possibly advance. That would benefit the offense for their intentional act. So the wording of "the batter accidentally making contact with the return throw" is really just an editorial quirk, not a narrow stipulation that requires the umpire to make a determination of the batter's intent.

I believe that the rule is intended to kill the ball on any contact, to prevent any runner's advance and to allow both sides to "reset".

Let's go the other way: runner at 1B, catcher throws ball at batter in the box intentionally - dead ball, runner cannot advance (thus eliminating anything resembling a delayed steal), no penalty?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi