It is not about me

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 18, 2010
I finally get it...

If there is one thing I have learned from the DFP forums is this fast pitch experience is not about me, it is about the girls. Let me explain. I am a work in progress, a type A personality, controlling, competitive, with the propensity to be “one-of-those-parents”. I have been regularly reading the forums now for about a year, and have read many of the crazy parent stories. The truth is, I didn’t realize I was closer to the crazy parent side than I would have liked to have been. I told myself I wanted to win for the team, but I think I wanted to win more for me than I realized. Reading some of these threads has helped me realize my goal as a coach and dad is to create a fun environment for the girls and to create an experience that makes them love the game. I have turned over a new leaf. Last night , the first game in our 12U rec league, we faced our nemeses team. DD pitched a great game only gave up 3 hits in 6 innings. We lost 4-3 from runs directly attributed to errors and dropped 3rd strikes. Throughout the game I kept a positive outlook, offering praise, complements, and telling the girls to shake off the bad plays on focus on the next. The old me would have been more critical and would not have maintained such a positive outlook. Across the field, I noticed the opposing coach yelling and barking orders at his girls. I realized how much more fun our crew was having, and instead of getting tight late in the game we were still loose and having fun. We had the tying run on third, and had a chance to score with a passed ball. Things didn’t work out for us, but after the game the team was upbeat positive, and looking forward to a rematch later in the season. We didn’t win on paper, but I think we on the right track for winning in more important ways. Thanks posters on DFP.

May 25, 2010
I finally get it...

If there is one thing I have learned from the DFP forums is this fast pitch experience is not about me, it is about the girls. Let me explain. I am a work in progress, a type A personality, controlling, competitive, with the propensity to be “one-of-those-parents”. I have been regularly reading the forums now for about a year, and have read many of the crazy parent stories. The truth is, I didn’t realize I was closer to the crazy parent side than I would have liked to have been. I told myself I wanted to win for the team, but I think I wanted to win more for me than I realized. Reading some of these threads has helped me realize my goal as a coach and dad is to create a fun environment for the girls and to create an experience that makes them love the game. I have turned over a new leaf. Last night , the first game in our 12U rec league, we faced our nemeses team. DD pitched a great game only gave up 3 hits in 6 innings. We lost 4-3 from runs directly attributed to errors and dropped 3rd strikes. Throughout the game I kept a positive outlook, offering praise, complements, and telling the girls to shake off the bad plays on focus on the next. The old me would have been more critical and would not have maintained such a positive outlook. Across the field, I noticed the opposing coach yelling and barking orders at his girls. I realized how much more fun our crew was having, and instead of getting tight late in the game we were still loose and having fun. We had the tying run on third, and had a chance to score with a passed ball. Things didn’t work out for us, but after the game the team was upbeat positive, and looking forward to a rematch later in the season. We didn’t win on paper, but I think we on the right track for winning in more important ways. Thanks posters on DFP.

^^Win.

Great post, and glad your season is off to such a positive start.

Jul 30, 2010
Pennsylvania
Awesome. It will be a great experience for you and your daughter. Several years ago for fathers day, my DD gave me Cal Ripkins book. It was a defining moment. I completely change my thought process. As example, if my daughetr had a bad practice or game, we or i should say I diseected it the entire way home. After reading the book, i never thought about the fact she already knew she had a bad game or practice and didn't need me telling her. So i stopped. Our relationship soared and so did her game..

Oct 13, 2010
Oklahoma
As just a parent, I have been wanting to take a small notebook and jot down 1 positive thing that each player on the team does during a game (so I don't forget who or what it was). And then take the time to compliment it. If it was a good throw, or a hustle, a good hit (even if ended with an out), or whatever. I think noting the positives instead of the negatives will help to change the demeanor and make them strive to do it more.

Good job on your revelation, knights! I hope you have a very enjoyable season!!

May 17, 2011
Way to go Knight! Personally, I absolutely love it when parents (my own or others) give me compliments. Just yesterday, our opponent's coach gave me a rather nice compliment on my catches in LF and shook my hand. Even little things like that boost my spirit.

Feb 26, 2011
I remember that time when I got to where you are now. It brings a calm to the world for you.

BUT watch out for the relapses, they will happen. You just realize it quicker so it makes it easier to get back to your happy place.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd