is there such a thing as too much?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 6, 2015
just wondering on opinions out there.

DDs 14u team so far has played 20 games, lost 5 due to weather so far, and has tournaments scheduled nearly every weekend between now and mid July (ending with nationals). guaranteed games for tournaments totals 36 I think. plus a weeknight travel league with 7 games scheduled, plus playoffs I think. and talk of another national, albeit fairly local for us, for another 5 gg.

I know odds are we lose at least one full tournament due to weather. by my estimates, we will end up playing over 70(possibly 80) games this spring/summer.

I love watching them play, but is there such a thing as too much fastpitch.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Have questions
Roster size?
How many pitchers/catchers?
How many practices are scheduled?

From your notes,
Possibly the weather will cancel about 20% of that?
Do you think the coaches stacked the schedule pending the weather cancelling more than 20%???

May 6, 2015
practices are normally 2-3 nights a week, but obvioulsly those league games will eliminate some of this.

3.5 pitchers (one tires pretty easily), 2.5 catchers (#1, #2, and emergency)

I know we will miss some due to rain, but I highly doubt more than 20%, and probablymore like 10-15 (ie one day per month perhaps).

not complaining per se, just wnated idea of # of games other 14u B teams are playing. (but my yard is complaining)

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Like lots of games.

However back to back to back to back tournaments AND
during the weeks a game AND a few practices.

It will be an endurance test of mind and body.
(either not wearing down)
The problem of overuse lies in it doesnt show up until its already happened.
Swelling & Tendonitis type stuff.
In other words plan ahead.

Whats the goal?
Nationals? Or games?

May 6, 2015
goal of this team is nationals (although honestly, me personally, states is bigger deal, purely for DDs bragging rights)

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
Don't know where you live, but if it's in an area prone to spring storms, you could easily lose more than one tournament. In areas with unpredictable weather, I've become a fan of scheduling early and often. The weather will dictate when you play, and it's much easier to cancel something if everyone is tired than to try to guess the weather on a particular weekend.

May 6, 2015
Don't know where you live, but if it's in an area prone to spring storms, you could easily lose more than one tournament. In areas with unpredictable weather, I've become a fan of scheduling early and often. The weather will dictate when you play, and it's much easier to cancel something if everyone is tired than to try to guess the weather on a particular weekend.
Oh I agree, but based on recent history, I say 15% is probably what we lose. DDs first team, first year 10u, first year for the team, they scheduled 5 sanctioned tournaments, nothing else. they ended up playing one. live and learn (basically, out first planned 20 games this year were friendly DHs, round robins, and unsanctioned tournaments, for a lot less $$$, and we played some pretty decent compeition, and some not so good, did only have one up for most, but for DHs and round robins, it is OK, nothing but some bragging rights on the line in any of these games).

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
Oh I agree, but based on recent history, I say 15% is probably what we lose. DDs first team, first year 10u, first year for the team, they scheduled 5 sanctioned tournaments, nothing else. they ended up playing one. live and learn (basically, out first planned 20 games this year were friendly DHs, round robins, and unsanctioned tournaments, for a lot less $$$, and we played some pretty decent compeition, and some not so good, did only have one up for most, but for DHs and round robins, it is OK, nothing but some bragging rights on the line in any of these games).

Yeah, but if you're traveling somewhere, what's the weather there? I didn't always see it this way, but I learned through experience. Scheduling every weekend looks like a lot, but check back with me in July...I'll bet it doesn't play out that way.

You're entering the best part of your kid's youth softball career...14U and up. Enjoy every minute of it.

May 16, 2016
36 guaranteed? That is what, 9 tournaments? Counting this weekend, there are 12 or 13 weeks until "Mid July". Yeah, that sounds pretty standard for the Summer. 2 or 3 in May, then in June, back to back until you stop in "Mid July". Then a couple of weeks off, and school starts back....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi