is there such a thing as too much?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 25, 2012
USA
@bmakj good question and I think you likely have your answer already but wanted to get other thoughts as well. Trust youd gut as I think you are likely right on IMHO. As somebody mentioned, It really likely depends on the girl and family. Some kids would play everyday if they could while others want to be a kid outside of softball from time to time. It's definitely a balance and burn out is REAL! I see it happen all the time and sometimes I am shocked by who hangs up the cleats as they had a future in college but never had a balance.

Good luck and you are already ahead of the game by asking your question!

S3

Apr 20, 2015
That sounds about right. Our 2nd yr 14s start up after HS ball is over 2nd week of June heading to Fl, then KC, then PA, then CO IDT, demarini in Chicago, a round Robin and then PGF nationals. My head is rarely in my own bed those 2 months and my rear is stuck on a plain. Expensive summer but the memories should be amazing. This is a national level schedule. It maybe that your B team has different goals and is moving toward more of an A schedule. We have 3 pitchers 2 catchers and 1 emergency of each.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Jun 8, 2016
From 3/20 through 7/15 DD's second year 12's team has 11 tournaments scheduled. All but one are local as her new team has a coach which seems to take a view that travel at 12's is a waste of time (I wouldn't mind a few more out of state to improve the competition but am willing to wait till next year..) So far they have played 4 tournaments (22 games) with 2 of them having pool cancelled due to rain. She is playing AAU basketball too so typically her weekends off from softball she is playing basketball tournaments. No complaints from her so far but will continue to monitor and adjust accordingly.

She likes playing both sports and because of this we chose (when we were looking for a new team this year) to keep her playing (up) for a local team vs playing for a more "National" team in her actual age group which was 3+ hours away, She wouldn't have been able to play basketball had we moved her to the team further away.

Due to the times working out (she had at least 3 hours between first sball game and last hoop game both Sat and Sun), she was able to play both sports last weekend..on Monday she said her legs were sore which is weird since I thought you had to have muscle in order for them to be sore... :LOL:

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Whos 14u team is scheduled to travel to Florida for Alliance then traveling to SoCal for PGF the following week? How much would that cost per family? What do you do with the siblings? Why would you do it? IMO, that would be too much. In So Cal we play year around with very few games canceled due to weather. So taking a weekend off every 4th or 5th week is no big deal and gives the girls a chance to go to the beach or shopping or amusement park or family get away or camping or dirt bike riding or horseback riding or just hang out with friends and do tic toc all day.

Jun 10, 2018
NY
NJ (USSSA) and Myrtle Beach.

scheduled to play every weekend between now and mid july other than memorial day. Mothers day WE is only Saturday thankfully.

DD would definitely like a couple of breaks in there, in order to . . . be a teenager.
Your DD sounds like a great kid who wants to be a kid. I dont mean this in a judgemental way but she may burn out with this much softball, unless alot of it gets rained out. Even then, she may want a beautiful weekend to beach it with her friends. Not so great for your only free time to be in lousy weather.....

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Whos 14u team is scheduled to travel to Florida for Alliance then traveling to SoCal for PGF the following week? How much would that cost per family? What do you do with the siblings? Why would you do it? IMO, that would be too much. In So Cal we play year around with very few games canceled due to weather. So taking a weekend off every 4th or 5th week is no big deal and gives the girls a chance to go to the beach or shopping or amusement park or family get away or camping or dirt bike riding or horseback riding or just hang out with friends and do tic toc all day.
Know of a couple teams who could go. But why?
Traveling in itself does not add prestige.
They will stay here and do PGF.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi