Is it softball or fastpitch?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 20, 2012
If you go to any of the college sites and look for the teams it will say "softball". No mention of fast pitch at all. It used to be around here slow pitch ruled forever then fast pitch finally took hold over the last 15 yrs or so. So for a while softball was slow pitch. Then during the transitional years we had to distinguish the two, fast pitch or slow pitch. Now when we say softball it is fast pitch, UNLESS we are talking HS in which we have a slow pitch and fast pitch season.

Jan 31, 2014
North Carolina
It's played with a softball. Must be softball. Baseball is played with a baseball. Basketball is played with a basketball. Golf is played with a golf ball. Cricket is played with a... nevermind. This is going to bug me all day.

Oct 25, 2009
It's played with a softball. Must be softball. Baseball is played with a baseball. Basketball is played with a basketball. Golf is played with a golf ball. Cricket is played with a... nevermind. This is going to bug me all day.

Or is it a fastpitch ball? Nothing soft about it. Is Cricket played with crickets? Hockey isn't played with hockey.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Or is it a fastpitch ball? Nothing soft about it. Is Cricket played with crickets? Hockey isn't played with hockey.

There is nothing soft about a SOFTBALL used in slowpitch, either. Of course, I find it completely absurd that people routinely talk about how hard a softball is, but the FP folks resist any change to a safer ball.

Jun 9, 2014

There is nothing soft about a SOFTBALL used in slowpitch, either. Of course, I find it completely absurd that people routinely talk about how hard a softball is, but the FP folks resist any change to a safer ball.

You haven't played 16-inch slow pitch in Chicago, have you?

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
I've learned to use "fastpitch" in certain circles. The average person ( without a competitive daughter ) immediately assumes slow pitch. It always follows with, "oh I've played that", meaning SP. And as sad as it sounds, some don't know what "fastpitch" even is. Once you explain the speed difference in pitching they're like "wow, that sounds hard". Yep it is.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles