Is it really " Just a game" ?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 15, 2015
Why is it " Just a game " when it comes to the girls game, why cant a coach get upset or a parent want the best? Why does a dad with radar gun look like tool when hes gunning his pitchers at a softball tourney but at a boys tourney they look like a scout or important or something! Why is it crazy for a girl to work hard? Why is it "psycho dad" to work a DD out several times a week? Will the mindset change?

Is it really Just a game when you have your time and money involved? Or is it more of a way of life?

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
I don't have a son and don't watch many youth baseball games, so I can't comment on what goes on there. As for girls, I wasn't aware that people consider me a psycho dad for practicing with my daughter multiple times during the week. Not concerned if they do, though.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I wonder what area of the US you are in? I really don't see the problems that you describe, here in Tucson. Plus, no dads own a radar gun, whether they are raising boys or girls. There are goofy dads in every sport. But, generally they are helpful.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Plus, no dads own a radar gun, whether they are raising boys or girls. There are goofy dads in every sport. But, generally they are helpful.

Dang, now I feel like crap. I own a radar gun, and my daughter doesn't even pitch. :(

I bought a Buchnell gun for $85 a few years back, thinking it would be helpful for tryouts and gauging progress of the pitchers on the travel team I coached. Used it recently to see if my daughter's overhand throw is getting better after working on new mechanics. Yeah, I'm still rationalizing that one.

Nov 6, 2013
Baja, AZ
Why is it " Just a game " when it comes to the girls game, why cant a coach get upset or a parent want the best? Why does a dad with radar gun look like tool when hes gunning his pitchers at a softball tourney but at a boys tourney they look like a scout or important or something! Why is it crazy for a girl to work hard? Why is it "psycho dad" to work a DD out several times a week? Will the mindset change?

Is it really Just a game when you have your time and money involved? Or is it more of a way of life?

About once every week a stranger approaches me and my daughter while I'm working out with her (pitching/hitting/fielding) outside of her team practice. Some say they played fastpitch, others don't, however, they ALL tell me I'm a great dad for taking the extra time with her, and they all tell my daughter what a great dad she has. I thank them and tell them they don't see all of me, and are importantly, there are thousands of FP dads working with their daughters that moment all across the U.S.

ItsJustAGameCoach!

Softball Sponge
Dec 7, 2014
Surprise Arizona
I really like this post for two reasons. First, my profile name is "It's just a game Coach" because it is my trigger. There are a few terms that I hear that take my rev meter to RED. "It's just a game Coach" is number 1! (Being called, "Boss" or "Chief" are very close seconds.) It bothers me, because I mostly hear it from other teams coaches and parents. I most commonly hear it when my team is playing hard or I have called the other coach on a rule violation. The rule violation is usually an attempt on their part to WIN and then when I call them out, I'm told "It's just a game Coach!" Trust me I am not about winning at all cost, BUT I do try to teach my girls that if you are going to step out on the field then do it right and play hard. Don't tell me that it's just a game unless we are not keeping score.

Secondly, no one ever tells a PTA parent "It's just school." When your family is involved in something that means a lot to you, it is more than just a game. The only other time I hear, "It's just a game Coach" is when it is a parent that would obviously rather be somewhere else and we know from statistics that their non-committment to something child enjoys will hinder their success.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
My oh my... You not only started a thread as ApogeeDemon(SHRIMPTROLL). Now your answering your own thread ITSJUSTAGAMECOACH(SHRIMPTROLL). Just to agree with yourself. You are ruining this site.....prove me wrong. I know when I smell SHRIMP.

ItsJustAGameCoach!

Softball Sponge
Dec 7, 2014
Surprise Arizona
My oh my... You not only started a thread as ApogeeDemon(SHRIMPTROLL). Now your answering your own thread ITSJUSTAGAMECOACH(SHRIMPTROLL). Just to agree with yourself. You are ruining this site.....prove me wrong. I know when I smell SHRIMP.
I'm new, I guess I don't follow. I must not be part of the "in crowd." Or did I just participate in an unwritten rule.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TaraLynn0207