Is hitting off a pitching machine necessary?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 24, 2022
It has its place and can be valuable, but my daughter (12) hates the machine (like others) because of timing :) We do a lot of live pitching at our practices, which I've always been a fan of. But, there are times when you want a different look or want to practice different things. I think variety keeps the girls engaged - work in tee, side toss, front toss, machine, and live pitching.

Jun 8, 2016
Just out of curiousity (for those of you with boys who play baseball who are older than my son) do boys in today's day and age have as much of an issue with timing a machine, slow pitching, etc? I don't ever remember complaining (or hearing anybody else complain) about a pitcher being too slow when I was playing ( 🤣 ) but it is a constant complaint I hear at the softball fields.

My son has yet to hit off a machine (he just turned 7) but when I play wiffle ball games, front toss from close, pitch to him with a windup, etc it usually doesn't take him more than a couple of swings to get his timing down regardless of how hard (or how) I am throwing. I wonder if me doing everything I just mentioned, which I can do because I know how to pitch overhand (as do others), would have something to do with it if boys didn't have as much of an issue.

Last edited:

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
How many high level college teams do NOT use one?

I often hear players say they can't hit off a machine. I tell them they are correct, they can't hit.
When BB played, the coach had a competition each year right before they headed out on the road for the first games. It was a Queen of the Hill type of thing and off of a machine. The players were the judges. I hear that got pretty intense. The winning got a trophy for one year and with their name on it. If they were seniors, they were to turn it in at the end of their senior year.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
"I often hear players say they can't hit off a machine. I tell them they are correct; they can't hit."

I was thinking this^^^^ but didn't want to offend anyone.
Just out of curiousity (for those of you with boys who play baseball who are older than my son) do boys in today's day and age have as much of an issue with timing a machine, slow pitching, etc? I don't ever remember complaining (or hearing anybody else complain) about a pitcher being too slow when I was playing ( 🤣 ) but it is a constant complaint I hear at the softball fields.

My son has yet to hit off a machine (he just turned 7) but when I play wiffle ball games, front toss from close, pitch to him with a windup, etc it usually doesn't take him more than a couple of swings to get his timing down regardless of how hard (or how) I am throwing. I wonder if me doing everything I just mentioned, which I can do because I know how to pitch overhand (as do others), would have something to do with it if boys didn't have as much of an issue.
I hear this too. It is mostly just an excuse. Get your timing down in the on-deck circle. Let it travel. Think middle of the field. My DD struggles with slow pitching. Going to set machine at 47 mph this week.

Jul 14, 2018
…because I know how to pitch overhand (as do others), would have something to do with it if boys didn't have as much of an issue.

I think it’s the difference between overhand and underhand mechanics that can make it trickier for softball players because in baseball, there’s a minimum. If you don’t get a minimum velocity on an overhand throw, it’s simply not going to make the plate.

Underhand pitchers can throw upwards, letting loft get the ball to the plate (basically what you see in slow pitch). At the extreme end, it becomes very difficult to time the pitcher because you can’t load at release, you have to find that space somewhere in the middle to start your swing without a visual cue from the pitcher. Obviously big fat beer league guys like me figure it out, but it’s tough to make that transition when you’re used to fastpitch.

I will say, the majority of people that I hear slow pitching complaints from are the parents of kids who just can’t hit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jun 8, 2016
I think it’s the difference between overhand and underhand mechanics that can make it trickier for softball players because in baseball, there’s a minimum. If you don’t get a minimum velocity on an overhand throw, it’s simply not going to make the plate.

Underhand pitchers can throw upwards, letting loft get the ball to the plate (basically what you see in slow pitch). At the extreme end, it becomes very difficult to time the pitcher because you can’t load at release, you have to find that space somewhere in the middle to start your swing without a visual cue from the pitcher. Obviously big fat beer league guys like me figure it out, but it’s tough to make that transition when you’re used to fastpitch.

I will say, the majority of people that I hear slow pitching complaints from are the parents of kids who just can’t hit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Makes sense.

Dec 12, 2020
Just out of curiousity (for those of you with boys who play baseball who are older than my son) do boys in today's day and age have as much of an issue with timing a machine, slow pitching, etc? I don't ever remember complaining (or hearing anybody else complain) about a pitcher being too slow when I was playing ( ) but it is a constant complaint I hear at the softball fields.

I don't know about older kiddos, but after a short adjustability period that may differ for each individual, it sounds like an excuse. Also though, my boy is 8 and will unload when I soft toss to him, he seems to understand to load slow when I hand break, but he is struggling at practice against the machine. He might just be adjusting atm. He is machine pitch for one more season.

Jun 8, 2016
I don't know about older kiddos, but after a short adjustability period that may differ for each individual, it sounds like an excuse. Also though, my boy is 8 and will unload when I soft toss to him, he seems to understand to load slow when I hand break, but he is struggling at practice against the machine. He might just be adjusting atm. He is machine pitch for one more season.
If the feeder is not good, hitting off the machine can be like trying to hit an off speed pitch, which would be difficult for 95% of 8 YO. DS's league is coach pitch. DD played machine pitch before moving on to 10U TB.

Last edited:
May 21, 2018
"I often hear players say they can't hit off a machine. I tell them they are correct; they can't hit."

I was thinking this^^^^ but didn't want to offend anyone.

I hear this too. It is mostly just an excuse. Get your timing down in the on-deck circle. Let it travel. Think middle of the field. My DD struggles with slow pitching. Going to set machine at 47 mph this week.
My DD struggles mightily with slower pitching. Yes, it's obviously a timing issue, but more than that, it's a mental issue. She gets herself amped up for upper 50's and occasionally low 60's pitching and doesn't seem to be able to turn that part of her brain off.
It's embedded in her thought process to not be late on the pitch so she's generally way early on slow pitching.

I had her use a toe tap for awhile last fall and it seemed to give her something else to focus on and she hit really well, but her coach didn't like it so she stopped using it.

We've been working on hitting different pitching speeds over the winter, but I'm not sure it will translate into game situations when the adrenaline is flowing. We shall see.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi