Is DD Hanging Up The Cleats?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 7, 2009
I have the opposite problem. I am about totally burned out on softball, so I have told the daughter I was thinking about cutting her back to just school ball. She looked at me like I'd lost my friggin mind.

May 18, 2009
My DD took a year off. There was too much gossip, backstabbing, and in fighting. It wasn't fun for her. She came back a year later with renewed vigor. If it's not fun they don't want to do it. I know some girls that are very good. They don't like the game. Feel pressured to play by their dad.

Nov 23, 2010
North Carolina
Hey, take her to Taco Bell before you transfer her to the other parents car, problem solved. Seriously, at 13yo it could be anything, and she probably does not know herself, especially since she told the other girls and not the coach. Number 1 is to be patient with her and don't talk too much about the situation. After letting the coach know, I would make up some excuse why she could not go to practice one or two nights just to gauge how she reacts. She may miss it more than she thinks she would. There is no really good answer with this and unfortunately, only time will tell. Good luck!

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
At 13YOA, she needs to be doing what she loves to do, not what her dad loves for her to do. If she doesn't want to play softball anymore, then you should let her hang up the cleats. Does she really want to quit? Maybe, or maybe not. The only way you are going to find out is to let her.

She may want to spend more time doing something else--and that is absolutely what she should do if she wants. There is no "pot of gold" at the end of the softball rainbow.

She may just need some time away from the game, or perhaps she really wants to pursue something else.

Number 1 is to be patient with her and don't talk too much about the situation.

???

If you mean "don't talk at her", I agree. If you mean, don't talk to her about it, then I disagree.

You have to communicate with your kids. Not talking to her is probably the worst thing you can do.

Jun 21, 2010
Slugger, I'm glad you commented on this.

DD and I have a very special relationship. I quite working when my wife took a job as a physician when DD was 2 months old. She went everywhere with me. I'm the one who took her to all her sports she participated in. Softball happened to be the one she excelled at. To this day we have a great avenue of communication, until she made these comments to the girls on her team. She still insist she doesn't know why she said what she said.

I'm the kind of dad who is supportive of my kids what ever they decide to do. I don't make my kids do something they don't want to. Older DD decided sports wasn't her thing and she pursued music and art and had a great time in HS. I was very happy for her she found her place. Same with my youngest son who decided he didn't want to play baseball ( LL ) after 6 years of playing. I was really bummed about it, but he found other stuff to do and I'm glad he's finding his place at his age. My oldest son ran XC and Track and lettered in both, but chose to join the Navy rather than go to college.

DD is fine as of today. We did have a long talk and she insist she wants to play softball and wants to play the catcher position ( reminded me that she's been doing that since she was 8 YO ). Why the comments? I don't know and she doesn't know why either.

She caught her first trout of the year today. She will eat it for dinner. One thing this girl loves to do is fish.

459'smom

Eat sleep& breathe sofbal
Feb 25, 2013
My DD took a year off. There was too much gossip, backstabbing, and in fighting. It wasn't fun for her. She came back a year later with renewed vigor. If it's not fun they don't want to do it. I know some girls that are very good. They don't like the game. Feel pressured to play by their dad.

We are just now going through this. Our DD turned 14 a couple weeks ago, and she is going on a TB strike due to the EXACT things and reasons you mentioned above (not parent pressure)!! She used to love the game and have so much fun playing. I pray she'll get back at it within a couple of months. I worry about recruiting timeline.if she waits to long, though I try not to mention this to her. She's an eighth grader now. She agrees (on her own) she will continue practicing her pitching daily as well as her batting and other skills, so now all we can do is pray!! If she decides to Continue playing it has to be HER choice not ours!!!

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2012
pdx
hang in there , near the end of tb last year dd told me she was quitting tb to just play school ball, going into her freshman year. that lasted about a month . we went to some tryouts just to see where she stood in the talent pool around here, and was offered a spot at SS on a quality team. (She was also a catcher). She did a 180 on playing travel ball. now with school ball in full swing she misses her tb team ( no tb practice allowed during hs season )and can't wait till june.

May 18, 2009
We are just now going through this. Our DD turned 14 a couple weeks ago, and she is going on a TB strike due to the EXACT things and reasons you mentioned above (not parent pressure)!! She used to love the game and have so much fun playing. I pray she'll get back at it within a couple of months. I worry about recruiting timeline.if she waits to long, though I try not to mention this to her. She's an eighth grader now. She agrees (on her own) she will continue practicing her pitching daily as well as her batting and other skills, so now all we can do is pray!! If she decides to Continue playing it has to be HER choice not ours!!!

If you want your DD to get a scholarship then she would be more likely to get one from scholastics than sports. The majority of girls will not receive a scholarship from this sport. The amount of money some people spend to get their DD to and from games, pitching lessons, batting lessons, and other softball related activities would go a long way towards a college fund.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OAFSoftballMom#1