IR vs Bullet

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 9, 2015
West Virginia
I do not think your question makes sense? Maybe rephrase it?

We've been working on IR, she def has the IR spin down, she used to have bullet spin. Seemed like the ball goes farther when it's hit now than when she threw a bullet spin. I know it may just be a coincidence but just seems like girls drive her pitched better now?

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
At speed the downspin ball is going to drop a little bit and will not be hit square as often, the bullet spin is going to stay straight and be hit squarer.

I have no idea what ball would travel farther when hit square.

You want the downspin opposed to the bullet spin even if you think she is taking some lumps now.

May 30, 2013
Binghamton, NY
I/R and Bullet Spin are not mutually exclusive.
In fact, it's harder to produce bullet spin with H/E mechanics, IMO

I think bullet spin has its place, especially in young pitchers.
Think of it as a palm-up curve or riseball in-training...

If a kid can be taught to throw a 12-6 drop AND a bullet-spin ball,
well now she has two pitches that move differently, doesn't she..
Not necessarily a bad thing.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
she may have been throwing a bit hard with bullet spin which works great against weaker hitters. but bullet spin tends to be straight as an arrow and hammered by better hitters. once she fully adjusts and and her speed matches her bullet spin you'll be happy for the downward bite on the ball.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
I want my pitchers balls to move. Whether it's down movement with a 12-6 or something close to it. Bullet spin only moves with gravity and will most definitely get hit more often and much harder. It's easier to square up on a ball that's not breaking.

May 30, 2013
Binghamton, NY
but bullet spin tends to be straight as an arrow and hammered by better hitters. once she fully adjusts and and her speed matches her bullet spin you'll be happy for the downward bite on the ball.
Bullet spin only moves with gravity and will most definitely get hit more often and much harder. It's easier to square up on a ball that's not breaking.

are these anti-riseball sentiments?

Not looking to open that can-o-worms argument about whether a riseball rises, or not.
But for the sake of argument, let's agree that a riseball "drops less" than other pitches,
and so does a bullet-spin ball (maybe drops a little more than a back-spinning riseball does...).

So, if properly used, why can't a bullet-spin ball be effective?
Should we ask C. Osterman? <g>

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChippyNole