IOC idiocy

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Another reason wrestling probably gets back in easily is venue space and planning. The reason no one cares about rhythmic gymnastics getting cut is they don't gain anything it takes place in the gymnastics venue, same with synchronized swimming they already have to pool so instead of sitting empty they throw them in there.

Wresting gets another point towards reinstation here since they already have to have the venue for tae kwon do and judo wresting can easily just be held in the same venue with no problem.

Aug 7, 2012
however, from what I understand, it opens up the door for softball (and baseball, karate, squash, roller sports, sport climbing, wakeboarding and wushu) to be voted on for the vacant opening.

however, from what I understand, it opens up the door for softball (and baseball, karate, squash, roller sports, sport climbing, wakeboarding and wushu) to be voted on for the vacant opening.

I think people are making the point it's no good if it just creates an opening if the whole process is a sham just so the IOC can say it went through the process but in the end nothing changes and wrestling is back in so they really ended up doing nothing.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
But thank goodness they kept Trampoline as an olympic event. Losing that would have been too hard to take.

Well, to be fair, trampoline is not a separate Olympic sport. It's part of the sport of gymnastics. It's not like trampoline is being chosen over fastpitch. Gymnastics is.

But I know what you're saying. The problem w/ fastpitch is its lack of worldwide participation. Not sure what's going on with wrestling. Sad thing about softball is that it and baseball are the only sports in 70 years to make the Olympics only to be yanked out. Wrestling would become the third. (Unless baseball/softball were lumped together as one sport, the wrestling would be the second.)

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Cutting wrestling is an awful decision. I like table tennis and badminton (but can you believe the way the idiots changed the rules last time, completely ignoring the people who were TELLING them it would lead to teams intentionally losing to rig the brackets? Duh.). Egad, how can you call it the Olympic games if you have "sports" like rhythmic gymnastics and synchronized swimming and throw out genuine sports like wrestling and softball? It's a disgrace.

I'll probably get tomotoes thrown from the water sports folks, but they could save a ton of money by taking out the interminable crew events. Different numbers of people, with and without a coxswain, one oar on a side, oars on both sides, etc. The races go on and on forever and all look the same. Zzzzzzzz. These events, however boring I find them, are genuine sporting events, but since that's no longer a consideration.... And they could certainly get rid of the recently added whitewater events--it must cost a fortune to create those courses.

Yet scullers are as athletic as any softball player and I've seen some pretty boring softball games. You may be picking on the wrong sports

Oct 22, 2009
PA
I'm guessing the 100 meter dash goes next. Who really needs to know who the fastest man (woman) in the world is?:)

Apr 1, 2010
Yet scullers are as athletic as any softball player and I've seen some pretty boring softball games. You may be picking on the wrong sports

Well, sure! As I say, even though I personally find them boring, the crew events are actual sports, where the competition is reasonably fair, objective and transparent. Running, swimming, rowing faster; throwing farther; lifting more weight; jumping higher or longer; scoring more goals, runs, points--I'm in favor of these things being Olympic medal events.

IMO it's the cr@p that has to be judged subjectively that causes problems. Things like boxing, gymnastics, dancing, free-style anything! etc. are ripe for scandals and corruption. The times when I've seen someone cheated out of a medal are the times I've most wanted to stop watching.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
So frustrating....
Horse riding
Badminton
Trampoline
Curling (Winter Olympics)
Just to name a few sports the IOC has deemed to be relevant! WTH IS WRONG WITH THESE PEOPLE????

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd