IOC idiocy

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 18, 2011
But thank goodness they kept Trampoline as an olympic event. Losing that would have been too hard to take.

Jul 26, 2010
I'm absolutely disgusted with the IOC. I'm formally boycotting any and all Easton products from here on out. Cutting wrestling is sheer idiocy. I've no idea how ping pong, golf, badminton, and dancing around with ribbons. . . things that are not even athletic sports, remain in the Olympic Games yet they cut the oldest sport in existence.

Wrestling, like Softball, had its pinnacle at the Olympic Games. These sports, and many others, have no professional counterparts. These sports are exactly what the Olympic Games should include. Basketball, golf, Baseball, tennis, ect. . . all are sub-par Olympic competitions that are eclipsed by their professional events. These are sports with no place in the Games.

-W

While we all obviously want softball back in I am wondering exactly what the IOC is thinking.

I don't want to assume the IOC is actually smart enough to be this devious but is it possible they did this knowing there would be backlash only to then reinstate it as the "new" sport so in reality they don't have to cut any of the other stupid sports and don't add any others that are waiting like softball?

Sep 18, 2011
While we all obviously want softball back in I am wondering exactly what the IOC is thinking.

I don't want to assume the IOC is actually smart enough to be this devious but is it possible they did this knowing there would be backlash only to then reinstate it as the "new" sport so in reality they don't have to cut any of the other stupid sports and don't add any others that are waiting like softball?

That's what I hinted at in my original post. I just don't think this decision will stand. Wrestling will get reinstated, and softball will continue to be on the sidelines. :(

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
There was a whole list of sports that they could have cut that made more sense than wrestling...

- Modern Pentathlon - I thought this would go but apparently too many really rich people involved
- Boxing (how many chances does this sport get - corruption, poor/cheating judging and weird boxing rules for several Olympics) This is the sport who deserves the most to be cut until they can prove they can get their act together.
- Fencing (I like fencing but seriously as a commercial venture this makes no sense for the Olympics. Literally no one attends)
- Synchronized Swimming (how this sport/water dancing survives as a separate sport in the Olympics i have no idea) - combine it with swimming if you want but don't take up a 'spot' in the games with it.
- Football/soccer - unlike basketball, no one cares about soccer at the Olympics - especially the U23 + 2 players version they put in. And football doesn't need the Olympics to promote their sport
- I thought tae-kwon-do would be cut before wrestling.

While it looks like the SB/BB effort to get back in for 2020 is looking strong, this make it harder as wrestling has enough worldwide proponents to push hard to get it reinstated.

I believe it is going to be between wrestling, sb+bb and squash for one spot for 2020. I'd say it is probably a toss up between the three.

Jan 25, 2011
What about the Equestrian event, how can anyone afford that, load a horse or maybe 2 (I dont know maybe they take a spare horse?)in airplane and fly it half way around the world, plus all the expensense of the trainers,rider,and what ever else you need to have for the horse. It is mostly Kings & Queens or Oil Sheiks. I guess they like to win gold medals too.

I can't remember what comedian said, that it should be like a lottery. If your name gets called, you have two months to train and off you go. That would be fun.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
I'm absolutely disgusted with the IOC. I'm formally boycotting any and all Easton products from here on out. Cutting wrestling is sheer idiocy. I've no idea how ping pong, golf, badminton, and dancing around with ribbons. . . things that are not even athletic sports, remain in the Olympic Games yet they cut the oldest sport in existence.

Money and politics

Wrestling, like Softball, had its pinnacle at the Olympic Games. These sports, and many others, have no professional counterparts.

HANG ON THERE, BUBBA!!! You mean professional wrestling is really a made-for-soap-opera TV show and isn't REAL!?!?!
OMG!!! The next thing you are goin' to tell me is that there is finally a pope smart enough to retire before he falls out of the pulpit.

These sports are exactly what the Olympic Games should include. Basketball, golf, Baseball, tennis, ect. . . all are sub-par Olympic competitions that are eclipsed by their professional events. These are sports with no place in the Games.

-W

But you are missing the point. Professional sports is exactly what the IOC royalty want. Why? Because money chases these sports and the TV folks, especially the idiots from the USA will throw that much more at the IOC than before.

Want to stop the idiocy? Simply stop buying the sponsors' products and make sure you let them know you will not spend one penny on their's until they abandon their ridiculous spending on the Olympics.

May 25, 2010
I'll still tune in to watch a little gymnastics, a few swimming events, and some track & field, but that's it. To heck with the rest of it. And the new scoring system in gymnastics has ruined much of the viewing interest in that for me as well.

Apr 1, 2010
Cutting wrestling is an awful decision. I like table tennis and badminton (but can you believe the way the idiots changed the rules last time, completely ignoring the people who were TELLING them it would lead to teams intentionally losing to rig the brackets? Duh.). Egad, how can you call it the Olympic games if you have "sports" like rhythmic gymnastics and synchronized swimming and throw out genuine sports like wrestling and softball? It's a disgrace.

I'll probably get tomotoes thrown from the water sports folks, but they could save a ton of money by taking out the interminable crew events. Different numbers of people, with and without a coxswain, one oar on a side, oars on both sides, etc. The races go on and on forever and all look the same. Zzzzzzzz. These events, however boring I find them, are genuine sporting events, but since that's no longer a consideration.... And they could certainly get rid of the recently added whitewater events--it must cost a fortune to create those courses.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quickpitch