Interesting Video on Front Hip

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

R

RayR

If you understand that the front leg's line of force is in line with the shoe laces of the front foot - once the foot plants the front leg is in a strong position to brace up against the forward shift of the body....and will create rotation of the hips....

It is a very simple, powerful, and easy move (easy meaning low effort)

2vuwjd2.gif

Pujols20091a.gif

Manny27a.gif

Saw Slaught in person...he used Manny as an example and said that Manny sits longer then any other ML hitter essentially turning every pitch into something off speed....his ability to "sit" is all about how he uses his front leg....he allows the front leg to bend over his shoe laces until he wants to swing....once he decides to swing he braces up the front leg. Above he is "lunging" deeper into his front leg so he can wait....

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
I agree with turning every pitch into off-speed. The key IMO to the sit.... is to not give up the coil in the rear hip so you can land balanced. The only way I am able to do this is to maintain ER pressure in the rear foot.

Manny27a.gif

Mar 14, 2011
Silicon Valley, CA
That was great thanks for posting.

"I think there is way too much talk of hips". Hmmm, maybe this forum ought to ponder that one for a while the next time we look at an 8 yr old youtube swing vid.

If I was going to have a question about the clip, it seems to answer what creates rotation? The answer is the pelvis. OK so far. But if we ask what moves the pelvis the narrator seems to say it's the legs muscles working with the front leg bracing against the ground. This is true for the linear stride part of the swing. To actually fire the hip I still believe it's more abs and glutes than quads and hammies working the legs "against the ground", but I am no physiologist and no expert, so pls inform me if I am way off here.

Oct 25, 2009
If you want to "sit" on a pitch you don't do it with the hands leading. The hands are last to move in that case. The hip leads. They can "sit" as long as the hands aren't ahead of the hip.

Oct 25, 2009
I agree with turning every pitch into off-speed. The key IMO to the sit.... is to not give up the coil in the rear hip so you can land balanced. The only way I am able to do this is to maintain ER pressure in the rear foot.

Manny27a.gif

That's an ugly swing!

R

RayR

What keeps the hips from rotating as you wait?

If you want to "sit" on a pitch you don't do it with the hands leading. The hands are last to move in that case. The hip leads. They can "sit" as long as the hands aren't ahead of the hip.

Oct 13, 2010
Georgia
It sounds like the video is not considering the uncoil as a forward motion. He seems to be saying that the rear leg starts the hips pivoting with a linear push, followed by the linear motion being stoped by the straightened front leg, which then causes rotation. Is that what he is saying?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nate321