Intentional Hit By Pitch - Coach Tells P to Hit Batter?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 1, 2014
USA
Softball is not a contact sport and should be played in a respectful way without having to resort to battery.
I agree with your overall sentiment on this, especially in the context of this discussion about intentionally throwing at a batter but I had to jump in here... Not sure how you define a "Contact Sport" but there is a lot of "contact" going on in most of the softball I've seen lately!

Sep 17, 2009
When my DD was 10U we played a "town rival" and our best pitcher really struggled. We thought she was afraid to hit her friends, but we later found out she was afraid to strike them out. LOL.

I can't imagine telling kids that age to purposely hurt someone else.

It reminds me of that catcher who got out of the way and let the ball hit the ump.

What if something in one of these cases goes really wrong?

Jun 11, 2013
I remember when DD was 10 she was pitching in a 10U game. She was a lefty with a big motion that scared a lot of hitters but in reality she threw about as slow as you could without it being considered arc ball. On the way I told her to hit the first batter just to scare them. I of course told her I was just kidding before we got out of the car. Truthfully she couldn't hit into a 3 foot circle. Anyway first pitch of the game is a 3 hopper to the plate that hits the batter in the foot. She looked over at me and I had my hat over my face laughing. We still joke about it today. In reality any coach that tells a kid to hit a player on purpose needs to consider a different hobby.

shaker1

Softball Junkie
Dec 4, 2014
On a bucket
I think it has its place in the big leagues, but 10u, poor coaching. My oldest hit at least one a game in 10u, but never on purpose. Damn hello elbow mechanics!!

softgabby

Gear Empress
Mar 10, 2016
Just behind home plate
My oldest hit at least one a game in 10u, but never on purpose. Damn hello elbow mechanics!!

I know in my few seasons pitching, I hit at least one batter a game as well. It was a given as a young pitcher that you would hit batters. It was totally unintentional. We had little or no control as to where the ball is going. in my last season as a pitcher, I didn't hit nearly as many batters as my control improved.

Mar 1, 2016
My 16u DD has led every team she has been on for the last three years in the HBP category. It's not because she crowds the plate, either. It's because she's taking advantage of the rule change a few years ago that a player no longer has to make an attempt to get out of the way in order for a HBP to be awarded. So she gets on base. A lot. Never viewed it as intentional. She's also a catcher and has never played on a team where there is a sign to intentionally hit a batter or where it was mentioned in a conference in the circle.

I think your the P in question felt bad about hitting your DD's teammate because they're friends/classmates, so she felt it would be easier to blame the coach instead of just apologizing for her lack of control. Now parents are involved, you're involved, everybody's mad at everybody. You know what? Kids lie sometimes. I'd bet money that's what's going on here, and there's no need to make it worse by making something bigger out of it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
A few years ago, Ken and I had a private discussion about a team that played dirty. This game got out of control verbally early on. My dd never participates in that kind of stuff and wouldn't say an ill word to anyone. Long story short, they decided to come after my dd to make their point by putting down a hard bunt and then the batter (a big girl) tried to take her out while running to first. DD put her on the ground and then, the runner who was on first came behind her to join in and was put on the ground rather abruptly. BB was always big and strong. LOL The umpire called the game and walked off. This was in a college exposure tournament with a dozen college coaches watching. There is a time for the players to police things. However, if they do, they'd better have a beast to back them up.

Oct 17, 2016
Texas
I think at this age it is wrong to call for a "hit the batter". I also know that there are so many people saying a lot of things, that you are not sure how true, or what context it was said in. If I was the parent of the pitcher, I would be upset with the coach for having my DD hit someone intentionally especially if they see each other on a regular bases as "friends". But, I would also as a coach not call the other coach because the next time you play that team you can bet there will be some hostility....And it is not healthy for the players to see coaches get into heated tempers in front of the players. Either way its just a sticky situation. I applaud you for wanting to stand up for your player. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad