Improvement?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 3, 2013
She has an upright posture and the hands have to drop out of the plane of the shoulders to make contact on the tee swing posted. Extension or lack there of is a result of disconnected swing, poor momentum transfer. Look at the difference between Giles hand path, who keeps the lead arm up, and your daughter. Giles has beautiful momentum transfer, great posture, swing plane.

What have people been telling you to where you think extension is the problem?

Speed is created by moving your torso, arms and barrel in a sequence where the segments can build off one another and transfer momentum from the inside out. There is nothing wrong with a downstream objective of realizing extension, which is superior to an objective of simply hitting or making contact.

May 3, 2014
Posture is result of core actions. Once the core is involved - posture is rarely an issue.

Swing should be viewed as middle out just because of this.

Someone already mentioned centripetal/centrifugal. Get the core involved and these forces smooth out because posture is improved so the arms do not have to adjust as severely.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
She is to upright and the hands drop during the swing to make contact. You can say the bottom of the swing drop out causing the lead arm to break down. The lead arm is working down as a loss of momentum is taking place. The momentum is working in one plane as the hands, bat and arms work in a different plane. Momentum transfer creates extension in a good swing.

No posture makes up a rough swing plane in which the arms, shoulders, bat follows. No doubt the swing is core driven as well as as momentum transfer driven. Without posture many paths can be taken when it comes to swing planes.

Lead arms swings are just one thing this hitter can work on.

Question does she hit or chop allot of balls into the ground?

May 12, 2014
Shawn, I agree with everything you said. Thanks. As far as the types of hits she gets....she actually doesn't hit many into the ground. Here is what the majority of her hits look like.

[video=youtube_share;BdrETbj5h8Q]http://youtu.be/BdrETbj5h8Q[/video]

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
She is definitely is doing a chop swing. Some hitters can still hit liners.

What level of play is she doing right now?

Just a few observations from the video .....

You've already noted the swing.

Notice the base umpire. Out of uniform and out of position.

Look at the pitcher's motion.

A quick calculation puts the pitch speed in the 40s.

Look at how the batter doesn't time the pitcher and times the ball late.

Watch the catcher showing a big target before the pitcher begins her motion.

Watch how the pitcher gets the glove up in the air after it is past her.

Notice how the ball is picked up by the center fielder at the edge of the infield dirt.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
I umpired every level this year. That is why asked. When I first started coaching it was in our local rec league. I umpired many rec games this since I was the new guy, we only do single man mechanics for rec games.

What works in rec doesn't translate well at higher levels. Of all the kids on my first team only my neice went on to play higher levels. There were some good players just like I saw this year umpiring. There was one good pitcher at 12u and one good one at 14u. We don't do the 10u, parents, coaches come into pitch after ball 4. 15 and 16 year old have to play at 14u because that is as far as you can play in rec in our league, 14u.

To make long story short, the pitchers in rec throw meat balls. Any swing will work. That is, if they can throw a strike. In our rec league most have no desire to play tournament ball, or the parents have no desire to spend all the money and time higher level of play takes up.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
5frames,

You picked up on allot from blurry video. It's weird that the hitter just stands there timing the pitch, even though the pitcher isn't throwing bullets. You this at higher levels as well in fastpitch.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
cbullard,

Did you look at the video of Giles hand path that is marked, and the one posted of your daughter that is marked?

96gec2.gif

o5uh5x.gif

xp6mo1.gif

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mpalesse